Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad is the idle with the STG 2 cams. Is it liveable without an XCAL2 to adjust idle? If not, can't I raise the idle by adjusting the throttle stop on the TB?

·
Registered
537 Posts
i'm sure someone is going to correct me if i'm wrong, but i think idle is controlled by the cpu, it would probably try and correct the difference with the tb adjustment.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
stage 2 is fine with my car... idle is set to 925rpm's and it is fine...

but when i had my idle set lower it wasnt as nice... and alittle rough... the PCM controls the idle. if you move the screw on the TB, the PCM will just learn its way around it to adjust the idle.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
This is prob a stupid question, but where is the best place to buy engine internals like cams and all that stuff?

Sorry for the thread jack...

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
depends on prices and who's got the hot dealing going on... as long as you get the name brand product it doesnt matter where you get them from.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
maybe even ebay. northcoast too, i think. massive speed? focus sport?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
yeah... it doesnt matter if you buy cosworth cams from CFM or focussport... its still a cosworth cam... just look for the best price and stick with a name brand cam.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah, ull notice that a lot....like, if u look at cfm, they sell steeda and fs stuff too, or steeda selling momo stuff. theres a lot of cross-selling.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
depends...on you. on how adept you are with mechanical work. its not easy. takes a while, and u need to be very careful. also need a special crank tool. ask honhon about it, hes done them. there is alos a write-up on the site too, with a ton of pics.

i usually have a shop do my work, so that if i have an issue, i can make them fix it. its all about liability and accountability for me. but not everyone can do that.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea I think I will have a shop handle it. Two last questions. How much does your shop charge so I can get a ballpark idea, and is a tune a must?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
id suggest a tune. may be okay with just stage 2s, but not certain. ask honhon, as he has them himself.

my shop charges 60 an hour.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
stage1's you can run without a tune... stage 2's i would highly recommend a tune.

stage 1's im sure i can do in my sleep, because they dont require valve springs to be replaced.....

stage 2's and above require valve springs to be replaced, so thats another 200$ roughly for the valve springs and retainers... the valve spring replacement isnt really hard, just time consuming... im sure now that after ive done it... i can probably replace the cams within about an hour or alittle longer... its not really that hard... but as long as you are prepared and alittle more prepared than that, you'll be ok...

remember, there are little odds and ends you'll need to do the full swap and such...

heres the list of stuff i had when i did my cam install:

stage 2 crane cams
crane valve springs with titanium retainers
CFM cam alingment tool
Summit Racing AIR HOLD(holds pressurized air in cylinder so the valves dont drop in)
two FL910 motorcraft filters
5quarts of 15w40 rotella T oil(used with the first 45mins of running)
5quarts of valvoline 5w30 oil
1 bottl of crane cam break in additive(used also in the first 45mins of running)
extra tubes of assembly lube from crane
bluepoint(snapon) OHV spring compressor.

when i start to work on my 2.3L head this winter, ill go a head and post a step by step on how to do the valve springs and cams and such, sinse its all done on the top of the head...

let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Are stage ones really worth it? I was looking at these. Both the exhaust and intake. The lift is .374". I think those are stage ones...And I wish you lived near me lol.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
they are worth it if your looking for a modest boost in power..... 2's are good if your looking to beat on it alittle, and stage 3's are looking for a track, more than often...

and i wish i had someone's car to help with and/or work on... i cant wait to get my 2.3L head started shortly...

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
I have the Cosworth stage 1 cams(Part # FSYD0222 & FSYD0173) and really love them. I didn't notice any difference down low but after 4k rpms you can tell a pretty good difference. They also have no problem with a stock idle but sound pretty mean with a 900rpm idle.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts