Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and I know everyone says to just buy stage 2's but has anyone here ever ran the stage 1 cams? I couldn't find any post referring to them. If so how did you feel about them? Thanks.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
stage ones r quite mild and i've have yet to see dyno pulls with them. i have stage 2 crowers and i love em. idk why u would want stage 1 tho... crower has always been my favorite tho their cams have been more aggressive then any others ive seen.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
the sgt ones are for the low end pw/tq, the stg two's are for more of a mid range pw/tq. personally if you were to get stg 2's you would gain more pw/tq but if you dont want the hassle of replaceing the springs an retainers then get the stg 1's

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
if your worried just about springs/retainers, wait until you want even more and want 3's and then have to get valve reliefs put into pistons.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
the cranes are more aggressive for the duratec, those are the ones I'm getting. The stage 2s sound really good at idle, but the springs/retainers turned me away. That and I use low end power more than anything

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
comp cams claim that all their cams are designed to work safely with the stock valve train. im planning on getting the stg 2's

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
comp cams claim that all their cams are designed to work safely with the stock valve train. im planning on getting the stg 2's
wouldn't suggest it

stage 1's are a waste of money. if you're trying to save money or do a budget mod, cams are NOT the way to go.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
a little brazen to call them a waste of money, they only net a few less than stg. 2s and forgo the extra work of springs. With that attitude stg 2s are a waste because stg 3s are better. Give a mouse a cookie and he'll want some milk

·
Registered
596 Posts
so in essence, if I were to say put stage 1 cams in my car with my current engine mods it would get better air flow....(cai, 67mm tb, b/s delete, header, hfc, 2.5" exhaust)...but would it make more power? and how bout the mpg's? would i need to get it re-tuned on the dyno?...just curious...can't afford it now anyway since i'm about to purchase my t2 diff...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
well better/more airflow means more power, you could install stg. 1s without a tune (battery reset needed though of course). But to get the most out of them a dyno tune with adjustable cam gears is a must. Different brands/stages affect power in different ways, some add more on the low end some up high. The higher the stage the higher the peak power, but also the lower the mpg.

·
Registered
596 Posts
adjustable cam gears??? YIKES... think i will stick to my engine bolt-ons as they are (already dyno'd) and just get my t2 diff...then maybe when the p6's wear out a better tire....too bad I like the wheels it will limit my tire options...oh well... gave u a rep for the info...

·
Registered
596 Posts
maybe in 2 years when it's paid for... maybe... but I'm not really a power junkie... right now I have around 157 whp and 155 wtq...it's enough to have a lot of fun with and besides I have no desire to race anybody...I mainly want the T2 for more (I sorta consider it a safety upgrade) traction whether it's cornering, or take off or in wet weather and the like...I really really want that to be my last mod until parts like brakes, tires, clutch or whatever start to wear out, then upgrade them. after that I may do an additional power upgrade as long as it doesn't hurt my mpg's during normal driving...but it will be awhile...

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Dude. I am taking transmissions this next quarter in school. The LSD is my next big project on my car once I learn all about trannies. I can't wait.

·
Registered
596 Posts
cool jet...i really want the lsd...i know the p6's aren't the best tires, but it should help my take-offs and just make the car more fun to drive...I almost can't wait till the tires wear out... but I wouldn't even know what tire to by since I want to keep my 16" ST [email protected] said something about some BF Goodrich tires, but I can't remember which ones...told me that had 139mph speed rating (i think) and great traction...not that I drive that fast...but one never knows if one will ever have to... but the traction is the most important thing for me...

·
Registered
116 Posts
cool jet...i really want the lsd...i know the p6's aren't the best tires...

what? the Perlli P6 all seasons??? there fantastic, i have ran them through 2 winters in New Hampshire with Lots of snow and ice and like them better then a sudded pair of tires. although the LSD will help to prevent 1 wheel peel.

just this morning i trecked through a few inches of snow and ice comming to work. :) no problems (06 zx3 ses)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts