Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Crane Camshafts

1638 Views 30 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  bigbudchugger
Over on FJ Crane cams are thought by many to be THE best cams out there for the Duratec. Walter Marcy is running a "Group buy" to get them back into production. Walter's group buys usually have GREAT prices and this one is no exception. The catch is that there has to be 10 more people for the group buy or else these cams will never be available again.

I think right now they're like, a little over $300 for a set for anyone who gets in on the group buy.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
962 Posts
I have stage ones and they are really great. good balance of low and top end, and they make really good tq. ones are great fro the budget minded as you don't need springs, retainers, or tuning.

· Registered
962 Posts
damn you egz. i gotta have a talk with walter. I'm going with threes and springs for my build. but might change my mind to go with a set of two set pretty aggresively. too many options!!

· Sückn' n Blown
8,058 Posts
hehe

I'm still wondering if I made the right choice. Would I be happier with 3s? Or would 2s make me happy? I'm not too worried about it now, as since the new pistons are already in the block, and I don't feel like get newer ones to replace them.

· Retired Focus Addict
10,540 Posts
I am still tossed between stage two or ones...I still don't know which I should get.

I want stage one's because I don't have to buy the upgraded equipment but I want two because I want power and I don't know if one's can give me the type of power I am looking for.

· Registered
447 Posts
I feel the exact same way.
I want the easy install of ones, but what's this I've heard about them kinda getting tired at 5500rpm??
Twos are seeming real nice, but what's this I've read about them only wanting to do anything useful ABOVE 2500-3000 rpm??

There's not much info for those of us new to cams to really understand and apply to our current knowledge, or maybe I only speak for myself...

· Retired Focus Addict
10,540 Posts
I completely agree with you....

I have never heard of one's running out of steam after 5500... If that is true... that makes my decision a bit more easier... because I can wait about a second for my RPM's to jump up to 2500-3000 for the stage two... it's just I don't want the headache of the valve springs but I want good power for what I am getting I mean c'mon cam's??? And I may only get about 10 whp??? I want ATLEAST 10 whp and that when the car is running bad I want around 15 whp from these give or take a few.

· Registered
447 Posts
the 5500 rpm thing is what I've read from another crane 1 customer, and he admits to having them adjusted rather modestly, but they are a mild cam, so most (if not all) increases are in the low to mid-range

I like the idea of the gains expected from a properly adjusted stage two, but what is the car doing at those low rpms?? Is it just total lag for the first couple of seconds?? I don't want to lose this excellent low-end grunt that made me love this motor from the day of the first test drive...

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Crane Cams

OK, the guy who said stg 1's top out at 5500 had them set AS CONSERVATIVELY AS POSSIBLE! With supporting mods & the cams degreed more agressively you can make over 200 whp with Crane 1s!!![:0]

I spent quite some time on the phone with Walter Marcy discussing the differences between stgs 1-3. I'll try to explain what all I learned from him....

First, Crane 1's are actually pretty agressive when compared to Crowers or Cosworths offerings. Walter recommends Crane 1's for MOST street tuners. The idea here is that the Duratec head flows so well you don't need super big cams to get the job done.

Stg 2's would be good except that you can't degree them enough to get maximum power on stock pistons. It's not worth going up to stg 2's unless you intend to use the Cosworth intake manifold and increased compression pistons with valve reliefs.

In Walter's old car he used Crane 3's for a while. He explained to me that before he sold the car he swapped out the 3s for 1s. Amazingly, the car lost only a little top end but gained torque wonderfully throughout the rest of the rev band. Cams & the way you degree them can only be optimized for a single RPM. (Everywhere else in the range is a compromise. VVT & VTEC are technologies that expand that optimum range) SO, each step up in the level of Cams you use, you'll gain a bit more top end & sacrifice a little bottom end. You adjust your cams to really dial things in where you want them though.

Bottom line is that unless you're planning a dedicated track monster, chances are stg 1s will put the smile on your face.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should add... ANYONE INTERESTED IN CRANE CAMS should post their intent over at FocalJet . The sooner there are enough people commited the sooner we get these babies!! (Or else we lose them for ever!!)

· Registered
962 Posts
It was me that said they lose steam at 5500. and they do. I also have an atx and don't have much of a rev range after 550 so it doesn't make much of a difference. from 3500 to 550 the car pulls like a beast. and the cams aren't degreed at all, they are set 0,0. when I was talking to walter he advised me to set the VERY aggresively for maximum power, i just never got around to it.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you set your cams even slightly more agressively they wouldn't die off at 5500. That's what degreeing your cams does. You've got them set as conservative as possible... which is great for a daily driver. I bet your car is wonderful right off of idle! I wonder what stg 2's would be like if they were set straight up at 0,0??

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stage 1's will work just fine in a 2.0, and in automatics.

Although I don't have a firm understanding first hand... from what I've read, if you have an automatic you'll benefit even more from an Xcal2 with stg 1's installed. The reason is I think they tune more aggressive shift points in to the ECU so you can take even more advantage of your additional power.

· Registered
962 Posts
atx is holding up great. before my cams and tune i was pushing around 145hp/146tq, so now i'm probably in the upper 150s though its just a guess. gotta remeber they beefed up the atx for the duratecs. and trust me i don't baby my car all the time. it gets a good whooping just about everyday. and it's gonna get its ultimate test yet come august. we'll see how it holds up to some road racing.

· Registered
1,053 Posts
Come on guys! Get in on the group buy so I can get my cams! :)

· Registered
455 Posts
netdrgoon said:
Come on guys! Get in on the group buy so I can get my cams! :)
I would really like to get into this group buy. How do i do it? Someone show me a link please.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.