Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after I installed my HU I am hearing what sounds like wires shorting out and I can hear it thru the speakers. I have taped up all open ends and looked for shorts but can't find any. Also sometymes the radio will have a low volume and then it jumps up to where it should be, but the volume is set at the same setting. Could it be my HU? I sure hope not, and I don't feel like taking it some where to have them see whats up- too much $. [???:)]
Thanks

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
did you make sure that the ground was good? If it is, then it would sound like your headunit to me. Especially the volume part, what kind of HU are we talking about here.

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
What is an HU? Oh, and this may sound stupid, but are you gaining speed when the radio goes up, and slowing down when it goes down....I'm sure that you know it's normal....

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
the HU is his Headunit...a new stereo reciever...which in turn would mean to me that he would have removed the old unit. In which case he shouldn't be having the volume increase like that, it doesn't sound very gradual to me though, more abrupt. Like I said, I was asking to see what HU he got.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it a pioneer DEH-P6400. I had it in my ranger before I got the foci, the truck sat for 7 months it was fine when I left. Even when I change from cd to radio and sometymes from station to station it happens. I will double check the ground, thanks

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
definately sounds like a ground problem. you don't have any external amps do you? if you don't then it's probably the ground on the radio that has the problem. you should run a new ground wire and not use the one provided, you should drill a new hole for a ground on a good spot that is sanded and bare. this should solve your problem. sounds kind of annoying to do but you've gotta do what you've gotta do eh? very rarely is it a problem of the hu, espeicaly with pioneer, they are built really well.

- Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
sa_pyro_ne said:
definately sounds like a ground problem. you don't have any external amps do you? if you don't then it's probably the ground on the radio that has the problem. you should run a new ground wire and not use the one provided, you should drill a new hole for a ground on a good spot that is sanded and bare. this should solve your problem. sounds kind of annoying to do but you've gotta do what you've gotta do eh? very rarely is it a problem of the hu, espeicaly with pioneer, they are built really well.

- Scott
I've recently read in PAS Magazine that the best places to ground your system are the chassis or the seltbelt bolt. My system is grounded on the latter, but I'm getting this awful whiney noise. I know it is related to the engine and the ground. But I've also heard of 'ground kits' that somehow ground the system even greater. I don't know, but I might be talking out my[bootyshak which is why I'm here, eh?

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
you should ground amps and the hu and any other componets to the same spot, otherwise you can get ground loops that can cause noise. i think the ground kit your reffering to is a floating ground adapter, which is just for older cars without a common chassis ground. not a factor in foci though.

- Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts