Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I came out of my house and as i was walking to my car i saw a crack on my rotor. I need to change it but i want to put bigger and slotted/drilled rotor instead of my stock once. I mean with a turbo i need more stopping power. So my question is can i have a bigger rotor with a stock caliper.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You have to get different calipers...due to the way the Focus front spindles are designed, the calipers cannot be positioned anywhere but where they are right now, so the kits that angle a stock caliper to sweep across a larger rotor don't work. Not that they'd do anything for you anyways...

Your options are either get better OE size hardware or do a costly brake conversion to either SVT hardware or the BAT Inc kit (there's others but they're well above $1,000.)

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
Also, everyone forgets what a good improvement stainless lines can be. It makes things stiffer and improves pedal feel. Thats the call, upgrade your stock stuff for a few 100 or spend some serious cash for bigger stuff.

I just did a full SVT swap on my car with stainless lines and new pads. I am real happy so far !

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree, new pads and a drilled in slotted rotor samesize as stock with stainless steel cables would be nice, it worked pretty well on my car, Big break kits are expinsive as helll ull find that a good substatute till you can save up for the complete change.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Stay away from cross-drilled brakes. They aren't as effective as slotted rotors and they weaken the rotor. After a while you begin to see stress cracks reaching out from the holes. They are only useful if

A) You're just showing the car

and

B) You seriously race your car and your budget can afford you to regularly replace rotors.

I would say unless you want to drop some real coin on a new setup, stainless lines and Hawk pads would be a great way to go.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
baer has a front brake kit, basically the same thing as the cobra front brakes, in the $700-800 range. you do need to upgrade to SVT spindles though

·
Registered
0 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts