Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure how or why this happened, but I noticed it on the front passenger side before my daily commute. So far its only that one that's cracked.

Probably cause these are old... is it worth welding? I'm not sure if I should keep driving on it but my only option is to swap it with my rear tire for now.

(Also I'm not sure if I'm in the wrong section for a discussion like this. )

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
If it was on my car I would not drive on it. As for fixing the rim, you would be better off getting a new one or two.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd swap it with my rear tire and put my spare on in the rear. But I don't know how long that'll last till payday.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Good god, I've changed tires and wheels for about 10 years now and only seen this a few times, cracked spokes. I would definitely put it on the back just in case something were to happen and save up for a new set of wheels. It would cost you wayyyy more to fix it and it wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. I took it off entirely..and put the donut on. Just the thought of the spokes breaking off scares me. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement steel wheel and slap a hubcap on it. till I can buy a brand new set.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup. I'm gonna order 4 new wheels cause I sure as heck don't want this happening to me again later down the road.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wheels don't last forever, at least they don't stay round forever. It's amazing how much a wheel will warp over years of being torqued on by the engine and flexed by the road and weight of the car. Even if we lived in a perfect world with no potholes and perfectly flat roads alloy wheels will eventually warp to an oval especially on the inside barrel where there are no spoke support

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
ADR venomous 18x7.5 43mm offset right? junk wheels. i ran a set for about 4 years and had the same thing happen to me. luckily i had a spare set of wheels but pissed me off royal because my spares were all 17s and i just bought a brand new set of tires for the 18s. they are just junk wheels. i thought as much before but this pretty much confirms it.

ah humble beginnings... eh that horrid stick on hood scoop... bleh

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ADR venomous 18x7.5 43mm offset right? junk wheels. i ran a set for about 4 years and had the same thing happen to me. luckily i had a spare set of wheels but pissed me off royal because my spares were all 17s and i just bought a brand new set of tires for the 18s. they are just junk wheels. i thought as much before but this pretty much confirms it.

ah humble beginnings... eh that horrid stick on hood scoop... bleh
Those do look nice.. but I learned something though today... junk wheels can look nice but they are what they are.. JUNK lol

I still can't find any decent sets for a good price.. I'm thinking of just getting a set of steelies and calling it a day. My only issue is that they are heavier than alloy. Not sure if I'd notice.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
oh believe me you will notice if you have heavy wheels. what is your price range on wheels? lots of options out there. i would say under $500 shipped for 4 wheels is a damn good deal. hell if you were closer i would tell you to come and get a set of mine. id sell you a set of 17x7s, wheels and tires for $400.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh believe me you will notice if you have heavy wheels. what is your price range on wheels? lots of options out there. i would say under $500 shipped for 4 wheels is a damn good deal
My price range right now is about $300. So far I got nothing for that low.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah its going to be next to impossible to get a new set of decent wheels for 300 bucks. I would plan on spending 500-600 bucks at least to get some good wheels. But even good wheels will break, it's less likely and it's almost never the spokes but even good wheels can only take so much. I've cracked some enkei wheels and seen plenty of other top dollar wheels with cracks. Also you probably won't notice much if any difference going to steelies, the steel wheels for a small car like a focus really aren't any heavier than the alloy ones. Unless your getting some light weight racing wheels the alloy wheels aren't going to be any lighter than the steel ones, at least not enough to really notice. You may notice the change in tire size and width of the wheel as far as handling though. But the thickness of the alloy makes them just as heavy as the thin steel wheels, in some cases the alloy actually weigh more.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
My price range right now is about $300. So far I got nothing for that low.
what diameter are the wheels?
I'm assuming you will be using the same tires.

for $300, I'd be scoping out the craiglist or kijiji or whatever classifieds you have locally as well as the For sale forum here on FF and FJ

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what diameter are the wheels?
I'm assuming you will be using the same tires.

for $300, I'd be scoping out the craiglist or kijiji or whatever classifieds you have locally as well as the For sale forum here on FF and FJ
Yeah, I'm planning on using the same tires. The diameter of my current tires are 195 60 15.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
umm there is a set of factory 16" 6 spokes with tires for sale in the bst here for $80. just thought i would throw that out there.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
was about to link you but i see you found them already.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
for 15" you should have no problem meeting your budget.

steel wheels should be <$100 used for a set of 4

1 - 19 of 19 Posts