Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I begin..

I was replacing my rear springs and putting in lowering springs. Of course the outer bolts dont budge so I had to grind off the head and the nut and go from there. After I popped out the bushings i realized they were unsalvageable so I purchased the rear bushing kit from edge performance for $112 shipped. While I was looking at the arm/knuckle i noticed a crack in the suspension. (pic below) The crack is right where the bolt goes into the knuckle. The crack goes from the hole all the way down which is idk approx 3/4". I'm guessing the crack came about due to the grinding and prying trying to get the LCA free. Just looking at the knuckle makes me cringe..all those bolts rusted nice and tight from upstate ny weather. A new one is only $86 which isnt too bad but i'd like to fix this if i could. My thought was to clean everything up and weld a thick washer around the hole on the knuckle.
What do you guys think, suggestions, i want this to be safe. If i dont fix it i know the crack will spread and the metal will fold in on itself.

Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can weld it, i've just read on some other google searches that welding it can actually be "dangerous". I'm honestly not sure why, wanted to ask first before i found out the hard way

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
I've welded on Chassie parts befor an have had no problems. I mean take a look at the CRAZY Jeep guys an what they do.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
If you could post some photo's of the actual failure, it would be easier to make a diagnosis. Welding can hurt the strength properties of steel, its called the heat effected zone. So, if welded, you'd want to make sure the weld is away from any bends or holes. Your thought of welding a washer may be a solution, but really, have to look at the actual failure.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
My lawyers have advised me to say that the safest, recommended repair is to replace the part with a new OEM piece...

But really I'm interested in the failure, cause it looks like it could be near the area that I did a little "polishing" on to get my wheels to fit. Kind of curious if I may need to keep a closer eye on that area.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
dont EVER... ever ever weld a stock suspension part. all that peice consists of is stamped sheet metal.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
dont EVER... ever ever weld a stock suspension part. all that peice consists of is stamped sheet metal.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
My lawyers have advised me to say that the safest, recommended repair is to replace the part with a new OEM piece...

But really I'm interested in the failure, cause it looks like it could be near the area that I did a little "polishing" on to get my wheels to fit. Kind of curious if I may need to keep a closer eye on that area.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
With that much rust an how thin the wall is replace it. It would be a good time to replace the rear trailing arm bushing then!

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Wow, after seeing actual pictures, the only recommendation I can make is to replace the parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts