Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm having water problems in my daughter's 2002 Focus wagon.

It all started when I decided to install a cabin air filter. I thought that it would be nice but didn't count on cowling problems and a major water problem.

I figured that I could go to the junk yard and get some newish cowling and put that in place and be done with it. Alas, that had its own set of problems.

So I'm stuck, at least for now with the original cowling but it won't stay down on the windshield because I broke the pins that hold it in place. They look like this . . .

I went to the Ford dealer and he couldn't find them in his parts listing. I searched online and found one place that sells them but I have to buy 25. I don't need 25. Really need 2 but 4 or five would be nice to deal with pins or dropping them into the nether regions of the car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Problems? What problems?

First I needed to remove the wiper arms to get the driver's side cowling off. Easier said than done. At the junkyard, I took the wiper arms off three cars looking for a set of cowlings that was in good shape. Took the nuts off, wiggled a bit, and they came off. Mine? Not so easy. I tried penetrating oil. I tried smacking them with a hammer. I tried a plumbing tool for removing faucet handles but that would stay in place. I even went and bought a tool at the parts store but that wouldn't fit around the wiper shaft. Argh!

So I figured that I'd just replace the passenger side and be done with it. Got the part out. I had cleaned it so it was nice and shiney. What's this? The clips that hold it to the firewall were gone. They were there when I cleaned it. They were there when I took it outside! WTF.

So now I'm stuck with the original.

Good news, I checked the drains and they work.

Now I just need the pins that I mentioned above.

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
You can drill small holes in both the firewall edge and the cowling piece lined up and use common plastic wireties to hold the front edge down.

I dump the plastic pins which are one time use anyway and intended to break when pulling cowlings. I drill through the cowlings and use a snap-in screw holder to fit the square holes and screws on mine now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cowling Retaining Pins - Found them

After nearly two years, I think that I got the problems fixed.

When I went to the Ford dealership, the parts guy couldn't find them in his parts listings.

I found these https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-clip-w703475s300 and ordered a handful.

The black part is welded to the cowling so I didn't need that. That part also includes the piece that fits into the body which was good since the originals were all beat up. About fifteen minutes and everything is as it should be.

If you only need the pin, I also found these in my search, https://www.amazon.com/CRL-2000-Ford-Focus-Retainer/dp/B002CXIQR2?tag=focusfanaticsconvert-20

1 - 7 of 7 Posts