Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting at the hotel bored in between different family visits for the holidays so I figured I'd read up on the forum. I came across this thread about a filter up in the cowl area
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-st-ecoboost-performance-2013-current/403034-cowl-induction-intake.html#/topics/403034
I already have a Big MOUTH pipe I 3d printed but haven't installed and a aem filter in the stock box.

My question is this: would there possibly be any benefit to pursuing the cowl idea or would I just get the same benefits as if I installed the BIG MOUTH? Thoughts?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of running a pipe from the cowl area to the stock filter housing where the air would pass thru the filter. I assumed any moisture could drain thru a few tiny holes in the bottom.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Remember this mod only makes a difference at WOT so you really should just consider the mod from that standpoint. Is a mild change going to make any real world difference? Likely not since the real restriction is the throttle body as you can only get so much air in there.
I'd stick with whatever is simpler or what you already have.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You make a fair point. Probably not worth the effort. Guess I was just bored and looking for something to do

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Much more effective to sniff the air from the whiskers the intake box is really close. Intake pipe lenght will be much shorter than the cowl intake.

See the newmission mod.

This will lower your IAT if it sealed properly. Beware of water sucking tho.

·
So mote be it
8,856 Posts
This would make more sense if you were turbo like the ST. Right now your intake is located at the front drivers side of the bay and goes straight to the intake manifold at the front of bay. Rerouting everything to the cowl would be a pain. The ST's have to have piping to route the intake across the engine to the turbo anyways, so shortening that length would be good for them but I dont think you would see a big enough gain for your NA to do it.

Your big mouth is directing air to your intake box, I know velossa tech has shown at WOT and speed their design works. So I would assume your piece would as well. Also, you are less likely to get direct water contact with your air filter this way, you'd still need to drive into a deep water to hydrolock. The cowl version seems like it would see more water and potentially collect it

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess this means I'm removing my bumper to get that sucker in there. I've just been procrastinating doing that because it sounds like a pain. Thanks for everyone's input

1 - 8 of 8 Posts