Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. My passenger side floor is wet. Does anyone know how to permanantly fix this? I beleive the water is coming down into the heater intake. Does anyone know if there is an updated cowl design or what?

·
Registered
407 Posts
there is a chemical or something that you can add into there and it will stop the leak, im sure its called "stop leak" and you can get it from any automotive store

·
Registered
78 Posts
mtfocus said:
Help. My passenger side floor is wet. Does anyone know how to permanantly fix this? I beleive the water is coming down into the heater intake. Does anyone know if there is an updated cowl design or what?
I'm an expert when it comes to this problem. Did you get everything figured out?

BTW I would NOT recommend using any of the sealants listed above...I will get u a pic of what you need if you haven't figured it out yet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
OK here is a general how-to for fixing a cowl leak:

1) Go to a NAPA store and get stuff called "glass setting butyl tape". It is in a blue box - part number 4195. Get the 5/16" wide roll. Don't waste your time buying anything else. Trust me, I tried a few things before hand. It's fairly expensive stuff ($15 I think), but there is 15 feet and it is fantastic stuff for lots of applications.

2) Remove the passenger side windshield cowl. Don't forget the screw that is under the little black tab in the middle of the cowl. No need to remove the drivers side cowl. See my mouse thread for some good pictures and info: Link

3) The water is getting in through your "cabin air filter" on the passenger side of the car. The actual paper filter may or may not be there. You can clearly see how water rolling down the windshield will get into the filter. This is why it has to be sealed. The drivers side cowl is actually not sealed at all.

4) Clean the cowl where the previous sealant was. Also clean the windshield.

5) Put a strip of the new butyl tape on the cowl (not on the windshield) and make sure it seats.

6) Put the cowl back on and press on the butyl tape to get it sealed.

That's it! I think most of those steps are...um...really obvious...but oh well.

I've washed my car thoroughly a few times after I did this and no problems.

Best of luck! [:D]

·
Registered
149 Posts
You need to get to the Ford dealer nearest you and get a new passenger side cowl piece. The originals leaked water into the outside air intake for the ventilation system, the redesigned one has a channel that directs any water to a drain hole. Did this to mine, part was like 68 bucks, but cheaper than the dealer wanted $1000 to replace the blower motor enclosure. Worked for me, no more leaks. It's all in the TSB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dchoward1977 said:
You need to get to the Ford dealer nearest you and get a new passenger side cowl piece. The originals leaked water into the outside air intake for the ventilation system, the redesigned one has a channel that directs any water to a drain hole. Did this to mine, part was like 68 bucks, but cheaper than the dealer wanted $1000 to replace the blower motor enclosure. Worked for me, no more leaks. It's all in the TSB.
My ford dealer doesn't hasn't heard of the cowl leak problem. However there is a different part number for the cowl on an 04 ZX3 than a 00 ZX3. Will the newer one bolt on to my 00, or are the mounting points different?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yup - I'm reviving a 6 year old thread, but I do have something to add. The first line of defense is the butyl ribbon seal between the rubber edge of the cowl and the windshield. If that seal has failed, the second line of defense is the channel built in to the underside of the cowl which hangs over the air intake area. This typically does a fine job of directing water towards the drain at the passenger's side of the car. HOWEVER, if your car is parked sideways on a slope and is thus not level from left to right- with the passenger's side higher than the driver's side, water will flow towards the MIDDLE of the car in the channel instead of toward the door, and can find it's way into the intake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1) Go to a NAPA store and get stuff called "glass setting butyl tape". It is in a blue box - part number 4195. Get the 5/16" wide roll. Don't waste your time buying anything else. Trust me, I tried a few things before hand. It's fairly expensive stuff ($15 I think), but there is 15 feet and it is fantastic stuff for lots of applications.

2) Remove the passenger side windshield cowl. Don't forget the screw that is under the little black tab in the middle of the cowl. No need to remove the drivers side cowl. See my mouse thread for some good pictures and info: Link

3) The water is getting in through your "cabin air filter" on the passenger side of the car. The actual paper filter may or may not be there. You can clearly see how water rolling down the windshield will get into the filter. This is why it has to be sealed. The drivers side cowl is actually not sealed at all.

Question: Tried to change the cabin filter for the first time. The two clips under the panel are broken and it leaves a big gap between the rubber seal and the window. I guess it is going to leak if it is left like that. Can I use the butyl tape and still replace the pollen filter year after year?
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this is a pretty old post, but I was wondering if those pics are still active somewhere? The ones in this post aren't working?

·
Sooo Fresh
2,114 Posts
got this problem fixed when i got a new window but its back now :( napa first then if it doesnt work ill do the new cowl from ford. I hate having leaks also

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have just finished the process of resealing the cowl using the NAPA 4195 Butyl tape. I also had one clip to replace, but choose to do both. The clips are plastic welded, so I had to use plastic Epoxy (LOCTITE Plastic Bonder Epoxy).
The bottom of the windshield extends down a little father over the intake than at the middle of the windshiled so be careful about where on the cowl panel you lay the butyl tape. You will press down on the panel where the butyl tape is to make the seal both with the butyl tape and with the rubber strip at the top of the cowl.
I also had the Blower Motor (interior) resistor block failing. Water/moisture may have reduced resistance there from the intake leak. I replaced the Thermal fuse on the block and cleaned the debris from the fan motor. Because of the debris caused by my car not being equipped with a cabin intake filter, I added a filter. Just a nylon stocking pulled over the filter frame to keep leaves and such from getting down there, but won't stop dust or pollen. I have run the fan at speed 3 (where amperage thru the thermal cutoff is greatest) and have had no failure. Which is a lot better than a new fan at $130.

If the clips are broken they should be replaced. The butyl tape will hold extremely well if the contact surfaces have been cleaned, but the clips provide the mechanical structure to keep the cowl panel from shifting around or vibrating, which could lead to the butyl seal to fail.
Clip Part number: *W703475*S300
RadioShack Thermal Fuse: 270-1321

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Issue
Same issue here. Water puddled on the passenger floor, but only sometimes in a hard rain. It happened once while parked on a hill with the passenger side lower than the driver's side -(as another poster mentioned). But I didn't realize the angle at that time. It didn't happen again until ages later. It made no sense! No consistancy to it I could see. I even forgot about it until I ended up with a HUGE puddle on the floor when I went through a carwash.

The Culprit
I was sitting in the car through the autowash and watched it happen. Sadly I had no cups or buckets to catch it. Nothing I could do about it but watch it happen and bail out after. When the auto-wash was through I checked the windows, all closed up tight, seals fine on the inside, as was everything else. But underneith the passenger side dash (where the water was pouring in from) everything was wet. So, the next time I went through the same autowash I checked my hood's seal near the front windshield. Sure enough there was a gap right where the seal should have met the hood (above the passenger side dash area). I could even look into it and see to the floor!

So, just to make sure this was the culprit I filled in the seal's gap with a thick rubber bungie I had on hand and closed the hood as usual. Then I drove through the same autowash again (with a bucket on the floor and my fingers crossed). NO WATER AT ALL this time! Gonna have my mechanic fix it.

Other than that my Focus has been a MAJORLY good investment. Not a single thing wrong with it EVER, in over 13 years and 64k miles. Best investment I've ever made!!!

Hope this helps someone else!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Other than that my Focus has been a MAJORLY good investment. Not a single thing wrong with it EVER, in over 13 years and 64k miles. Best investment I've ever made!!!
with that kind of luck, you need to be buying lotto tickets every wednesday

·
Registered
7 Posts
inspecting the intake and touching it shows dry dust, last night I was parked nose down so a lot of water did make its into the channel. I can physically see the water enter beside the dash on passenger side when braking, is this typical of the intake? wouldn't the water come down the center?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts