Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put on my winter tires and I didn't get hub caps (maybe I will now) because I was just going to run them raw. But I saw that in the middle of the hub there is exposed parts that I worry will corrode with extended exposure to salt / ice.

Are there little covers for these or should I just get hub caps from tire rack?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would get the size of the center hole and see if some of the older style caps will fit. Paint them gloss black and call it a day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just joined this forum to see if you folks had a suggestion about this. I'm in the same boat.. I saw that exposed raw metal and didn't like the look of it(just a cosmetic thing I'm sure). I wonder how much the tirerack wheel covers would help though. I don't know if the wheel covers will actually seal over the center cap very well in which case the covers are just going to hold all the snow and salt inside of them anyway...

I was thinking of just a quick blast of a strong automotive spray paint to protect them. Not really sure...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious, what size rim did you go with?
the blizzaks on 15" wheels, seemed to be most popular in the winter tire thread and they fit like a glove (with sport package).

@Lincoln which center hubs are you referring to? I'm new to Ford.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I too have the 15" steelies w/ Blizzaks, no hubcaps AND Yellow Blaze!

It seems to me that the hubcap isn't going to do any real protecting of those parts that are exposed. If nothing else, I bet the lack of a hubcap will make it easier to clean out any accumulation of salt sand that flings itself up and accumulates in there.

Stingerz idea about a squirt of black spray paint is something I am considering. It should keep corrosion at bay a little as well as dress things up a bit.

[cheers]

·
Registered
155 Posts
On a lot of cars I see in the shop have a small cap in the center of the rim that covers the center hole. It can be put on with a rubber mallet and would stay in place for you. Im with Stingerz I dont think a hub cap will help from salt building up in the center hole

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too have the 15" steelies w/ Blizzaks, no hubcaps AND Yellow Blaze!

It seems to me that the hubcap isn't going to do any real protecting of those parts that are exposed. If nothing else, I bet the lack of a hubcap will make it easier to clean out any accumulation of salt sand that flings itself up and accumulates in there.

Stingerz idea about a squirt of black spray paint is something I am considering. It should keep corrosion at bay a little as well as dress things up a bit.

[cheers]
Yeah I'm thinking this maybe be the way to go. It seems more plausible on the back set with just that indented bowl, the front seems tricky with that threaded pattern, not sure what or how that's used.

Lincoln, I appreciate the info. None of the specific model in your link would fit the focus, but I see what you're driving at.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shoot some undercoating spray onto the hub cover, done and done!

·
Registered
198 Posts
So I put on my winter tires and I didn't get hub caps (maybe I will now) because I was just going to run them raw. But I saw that in the middle of the hub there is exposed parts that I worry will corrode with extended exposure to salt / ice.

Are there little covers for these or should I just get hub caps from tire rack?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Try the local auto wrecker, you are looking for wrecked Ford Police cars. They use a small center cap instead of a full hub cap. This cap clips onto the 5 lug nuts and stays on securely. Police cars rarely use a full hub cap due to the flexing of the steel wheels under adverse driving conditions which cause them to fall off.

You are looking to caps similar to these

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+center+police+caps&_sacat=See-All-Categories

·
Registered
290 Posts
Can someone please explain to me how a dust cap ties-on the wheel (not onto the hub)? The wheel has a 63.9mm bore, and the hub diameter is something like 63.8mm outer diameter... and the whole wheel fixing is (so-called) hub-centric. So, unless the centre cap for the wheel, somehow has ears, and the lugnuts for the wheel "capture" those ears... how does the cap fit on?

I guess if a wheelbearing grease cap can be turned on a lathe (or, if they are OEM-available to the exact interference-fit size) -- then that, too, would work -- but I question whether the bore of the hub is a machined bore, or if it is rough-cast? If the latter, the fit of the grease-cap is suspect.

Can someone please explain?

thxx=

1 - 13 of 13 Posts