Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking around the car i noticed a perforated speaker like covering on top of the dash right on top of the head unit. I have the se with the 6speaker audio and was wondering if anyone knows what it is exactly?[poke]

from the front

on top

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh see i figured it had something to do with the upgraded stereo. Now i wonder how hard it would be to wire a speaker in that spot?

·
Registered
425 Posts
no idea, not many people have ripped apart their dashboards yet :p

For all we know, the wire for that speaker could already be there for you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohhh the temptation haha. Is the speaker that goes there like a tweeter? seems like a small spot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think my SE with the base stereo has it. I asked my salesman, he said it was a tweeter.

I know nothing of stereo's, just that all I wanted was an aux in cable and a MP3 playing CD drive, which the base stereo has.

I have an iPhone 4 that can meet all my audio needs, and since I mostly listen to NPR and podcasts, fancy speakers would be lost on me.

Speakerphone or usb docking would have been nice, but frankly not worth the price of admission for Sync or MFT.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you read about the electronics in the dash, i read that you cannot have a speaker too close to the electronics for some reason. So i would assume that top dash speaker is specially shielded.
I would not mess with it until some sort of applications have been made to allow it to be used.
It could be nice, but adding a common speaker which screws up the fancy electronics would be a disaster.
Even aftermarket ones in the doors may mess with stuff with myTouch...)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have this cover/grille (on an S), but in this model it is only for show. I saw a recently built S and the cover no longer is included. There was just a solid dash where the cover goes.

I suspect that it covers a speaker/(+mic?) on the upper-spec models.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How new is your car, Djc2473? On all of the Foci I've seen (including mine), one of the corners of that grille is popping up. Wonder if that's been fixed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked mine up first week in july, not sure how new that makes it. I think i will be leaving it alone for now haha. I dont want to run the risk of it not going back nicely. Just thought it be nice to see under and see if there are wires ran. if properly insulated to prevent issues with the head unit it be a nice quick upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts