Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. There doesn't appear to be ambient lighting LEDs in my driver side door compartment, should there be?

2. For the fellow Canadians out there, have you found a way to turn OFF the DRLs while parked? In my last car, pulling the parking brake up would kill the DRLs. The focus doesn't have this feature.

3. MFT - Infinite Building Media Commands, my voice commands worked great in the '11 SES I was driving, and they worked great the first day driving my '12 Titanium, but since then they have gone to shit. Nothing changed on my ipod, I ran syncmyitunes before getting the car and cleaned up a few tracks. It's about 30gbs of data and 4000 songs. It'll index for a second but never completes media commands no matter how long I give it. On the first day it built them in about 2 minutes.

Any tips or pointers? I know this is a popular topic in a lot of threads, but I haven't seen anything helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
1. yes
2. I've found the only way while parked is to turn your light knob to parking lights only. Any other setting turns the headlights on.
3. -eventually- it'll finish. No telling when that will happen :p

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
parking lights only? how would I do that?

·
Registered
425 Posts
parking lights only? how would I do that?
if I recall correctly (i'm a bit drunk, and my car is in the garage)

your light knob has 4 settings:
1. off (drl's are on)
2. parking lights (drl's are off)
3. lights (all lights are on)
4. auto (drl's turn on, all lights on if it's dark enough)

as far as I know that's the best it gets :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. There doesn't appear to be ambient lighting LEDs in my driver side door compartment, should there be?

2. For the fellow Canadians out there, have you found a way to turn OFF the DRLs while parked? In my last car, pulling the parking brake up would kill the DRLs. The focus doesn't have this feature.

3. MFT - Infinite Building Media Commands, my voice commands worked great in the '11 SES I was driving, and they worked great the first day driving my '12 Titanium, but since then they have gone to shit. Nothing changed on my ipod, I ran syncmyitunes before getting the car and cleaned up a few tracks. It's about 30gbs of data and 4000 songs. It'll index for a second but never completes media commands no matter how long I give it. On the first day it built them in about 2 minutes.

Any tips or pointers? I know this is a popular topic in a lot of threads, but I haven't seen anything helpful.

Thanks.
1. Yes (like others have mentioned)
2. Like my old vehicle as well, the parking brake would disable - no such luck. As a Canadian, I can tell you the closest you'll get to "off" is putting the lights in the "parking lights" position (first notch right after "off") -- this just leaves the little orange DRL's on in the front, back lights stay on all the time, even in "off" position.
3. Indexing takes a long time. Turn on Gracenote, and let it rip through your USB drive. I have found that after I let Gracenote index the drive, even if I remove & replug the USB drive later, it keeps the index database (until it changes, i would imagine).

MFT is far from perfect :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. Alright, contacting the dealership again tomorrow and adding that to the do to list.
2. I didn't notice a difference in 1-2 light settings. I feel like an jerk shining my lights through someones ground level apartment window when I'm sitting in the lot playing with MFT.
3. I updated itunes, ran syncmyitunes again. Indexing took 7 minutes, BMC took longer than I could care to wait. I was playing around in the setting and found gracenote, what exactly is that? Both settings were set to off. One of them was cover art the other was, hmm can't even remember now.

I also linked my ipod via bluetooth instead of usb, which was okay because even though it doesn't display track info, or have voice commands, it lets you access the screen of your ipod (mine is a 4th gen touch) which I can use to browse my tunes MUCH quicker than the touch screen on MFT. Downside is it thinks my ipod is a phone and even though I told it NOT to set itself as the favorite it went ahead and bumped my blackberry off. I guess it can store 12 devices but only one can be active, so I lose my speakerphone in exchange.

Maybe I'll just try running a line in... I just hate the thought of having extra cables running around, even the shortest ones you can get are 3ft.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Leave Gracenote (both of them) off. It only messes things up. I've got a little over 6,000 songs and it takes about 24 minutes to complete indexing/BMC. Don't know how long you were waiting all in. 7 minutes for the indexing seems in line with what I see. Others on here have gotten it quicker and others have waited longer for similar library sizes. Keep in mind bad metadata on even one track can cause BMC to hang so make sure every track is clean. I leave my iPod connected to a USB port in the console permanently (now I have to buy a new one for the house).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have an extra usb cord and leave it in the cars console. I was leaving the ipod in there, but it was never getting past BMC so I took it in to review the metafiles, syncmyride comes up 100% clean.

On Day 1, with a fresh system, it indexed and BMC in about 2 minutes. Since then, leaving it plugged in all the time and without changing any files on the thing it no longer gets past BMC. 24 minutes every time? Most of my drives are shorter than that, although the last time I went out I noted that I listened to the first 9 tracks starting with A, checking with iTunes now that was 26.96minutes.

Most of the time now I select what I want to listen to on my ipod BEFORE I connect it to the car.

Car is going back into the dealer on monday to address the LED strip, an imperfect on the ford badge, and the improper cleaning following the engine coolant fiasco. I'll have them look over everything else as well and mention this, although I don't expect a resolution considering what everyone else is going through.

p.s: gracenote is now back off, I turned it on and all it did was replace my album covers with shitty genre pictures.

·
Registered
967 Posts
^^^ don't worry about the indexing, media commands too much. From what I can tell its a bug and nothing is actually happening. I don't even like the voice commands personally, I just make playlists ahead of time. I will say that this is my experience with a zune though. From what I gather mft may not play as nice with apple stuff.

My guess is that itll be worked out in january if the rebuilt software is to be believed.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

·
Registered
179 Posts
^^^ don't worry about the indexing, media commands too much. From what I can tell its a bug and nothing is actually happening. I don't even like the voice commands personally, I just make playlists ahead of time. I will say that this is my experience with a zune though. From what I gather mft may not play as nice with apple stuff.

My guess is that itll be worked out in january if the rebuilt software is to be believed.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
The problem is that until the indexing/media commands have "finished" you have no voice control over the system, which defeats the purpose of having voice control in the first place! The MFT 2.11 update actually made this worse than it was, so again we play the "waiting game" on Ford to get their S**T in a pile and come out with a permanent fix/remedy for the nightmare that is MFT!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm taking it in after work to have them address a couple things.

DRLs are crazy bright and don't seem to function as everyone else describes them. Setting 1 should be off (or DRL in canada), but infact the DRLs are so bright I can drive at night and not even second guess it. Setting 2 which is "parking lights" not sure what that is, lights are just as bright, interior and speedo lights turn on as well.
Setting 3 kicks up the brightness a bit, but doesn't give you an extra visibility, I believe these are the fogs as the ground is really the only thing brighter.
Setting 4, auto, all lights.

The green light icon on the dash is always lit, regardless of day/night and whatever setting you use.

On start up the entire car rumbles and vibrates until you slip it into drive or reverse and move a bit. Even with no audio it feels like the sub is shaking panels. No idea what this is or why it happens.

Occasionally MFT will tell me I have no backup camera.

Sync/MFT are slow and unresponsive, "climate set temperature 19 degrees" sync; "90 is not a valid temperature, please say a temperature between 49 and 90 degrees" obviously some C and F crossover issues. When I tried 20 degrees Celsius it kept hearing 12 instead and saying not valid.
Easier to just use the buttons, one bad command and mft seems to go to shit real quick.

·
Registered
492 Posts
those are some crazy issues...the only issue i have noticed is my rear washer fluid stopped coming out (it worked initially).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hey MGBox - don't know if you have been through all of these old threads or not but this one in particular has some good detailed posts (from myself, Johnwillyson, and Greytlady as well as others) in working through the whole indexing/BMC issues.

If you haven't already, you might want to read through it. Maybe it will help. The info in this thread is what led to my eventual solving of my BMC headache.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266543&highlight=MFT&page=4

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check the colour of the driver side door lights, where the ambient lighting should be, when you open the door. It should be red.
Also, scroll through the menu on the dash, not the Ford myTouch, and look for lighting, the headlights have a delay on them, so everyone can see how pretty the Focus is......you can turn it off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey MGBox - don't know if you have been through all of these old threads or not but this one in particular has some good detailed posts (from myself, Johnwillyson, and Greytlady as well as others) in working through the whole indexing/BMC issues.

If you haven't already, you might want to read through it. Maybe it will help. The info in this thread is what led to my eventual solving of my BMC headache.

This works [thumb] I've done this for both my wife's and my music and BMC only runs for a couple of minutes on both her Explorer and my Focus with MFT.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
those are some crazy issues...the only issue i have noticed is my rear washer fluid stopped coming out (it worked initially).
there's washer fluid on the rear window? are you trolling, where is this?

Thank you, I will check this thread out. It's currently working alright after doing a system reset, prior to that it was indexing for over an hour...

Check the colour of the driver side door lights, where the ambient lighting should be, when you open the door. It should be red.
Also, scroll through the menu on the dash, not the Ford myTouch, and look for lighting, the headlights have a delay on them, so everyone can see how pretty the Focus is......you can turn it off.
The LED in the drivers door cubby hole DO NOT work, my dealership has the parts on order. The door latch LED turns red, but the cubby hole has never worked with or without the door open, night or day.

My parking lights still do not work, not sure how to address this issue. It's more of an inconvenience than an problem. When you set the knob to the 2nd setting which they call "parking lights", my headlights remain lit at full power. On every other foci i've tested it should only be the corner amber lights and tail lights, no headlights whatsoever.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts