Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me that if i got turbo I would need to get a new clutch.

Also, I got ceramic 4-2-1(4 to 2 to 1) headers and he said that I would need to get a new exhaust manifold.

Is all that true

·
Registered
397 Posts
seeing as you have an SVT, the getrag can take some abuse...

the real question is how much power will you be putting down? What are your goals..

Id say you can probably drive with your clutch upto but probably no more then 220-250whp, someone correct me if im wrong.... probably wont last long.

Im confused why you got new headers, the stock SVT headers are probably the best for our cars...

But non-the-less yes, the way a turbo works is based off your exhaust gases... so naturally you will have to take off the exhaust manifold (headers) and replace it with turbo parts.

If your looking at turbo'ing your car i would look at the other thread i JUST put up, this will give you a good idea into what to look for..

Its called....
(AVL. Turbo Kits) XIOS vs. Top Speed vs. CFM vs. FocusPower

But some things you will need..

Turbo
Manifold
Wastegate
Downpipe
Intercooler
Injectors
MAFia
TUNINGGGGGGG
lots of piping to route from turbo to intercooler, intercooler to TB
either a bypass valve or blow off valve depending...
you need to be able to tap into your oil pan and route the oil to the turbo...
Spark plugs
180 degree therm
probably a new TB.. dont want the plastic one blowing up...
hmmm... i know i missed some very important things

some recomendations,

i would say, if you want more than 230whp and 230lb torque...

get a new clutch, CM stg 3 is fine and get an LSD, it works wonders (i use the CM stg 4 with Fidanza flywheel and a Torsen LSD) - this will cost you a shiny penny..

also, get a BAP if you are going high in numbers-reaching the 300whp range...
a J&S Knock retard sensor is a GOOD idea too..
Wideband Gauge, Boost Gauge, Pyrometer is nice too...

Hmmm that should give you a good start!

also, plan to spend if you get all that upwards of 6-8grand... unless you are doing the installation yourself or getting it free, then it will be much cheaper.... that tranny work alone is something about 2grand though.... i think i paid about 2500 for all of it... but i had my LSD installed separately since no one around my area wanted to do it... TOM did a GOOD job when i brought it to him =D

HOPE THAT HELPS!

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
yes... to both.

altho you got a lot of reading to do...

i'd start with the turbo tech articles.. they're stickied here and have lots of good info.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the aftermarket headers came on the car when i bought it.

Is it ok if i get pats for the turbo that is for a ztech, like the manifold and such.
I can't seem to find the parts for an SVT.

·
Registered
397 Posts
like i said above... look at this thread titled "(AVL. Turbo Kits) XIOS vs. Top Speed vs. CFM vs. FocusPower" in the F/I section....

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Do a lot of searching.

Some ZETEC parts will fit the SVT but not all. You will need a turbo manifold, and SVT Clutch only will hold 220hp MAX!

After that you will burn the clutch at WOT

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
We fried my clutch at 12psi (around 250wtq)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts