Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey All,

Have not been on here for quite some time.

This time my Focus is doing some strange things.

The main issue is the fact that my Coolant is leacking because my mechanic said so about 4 months ago... he put some stuff into the tank to stop the leak, and I dont see puddles anymore, however, once in a while, I need to refil the tank cause it us below the line.

My AC does not work. HEAT is blowing through the vents... Could it be because of the leak or is it maybe out of Juice.. Let me know..

I start the car and from where the exhaust meets the engine, there is a slight puff of white smoke just leaking out... after it warms up a bit (1 - 2 min) it stops.. It smells like oil burning, but then again, my oil is fine.. Don't know..

Last... When I turn my AC on, the RPMs constantly go up, and then go down, then up then down, it turns the ac pump on and off, on and off, it's strange. Any ideas? when I am not accelerating, but the car is in Drive, the RPM do this and the car accelerates slightly, and then back to norm, then again, and its like that when I have the fans turned on, even with the AC button off... ANy ideas... please post.

Thank You!
Szymon Zmijewski

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"it turns the ac pump on and off, on and off,"

That's a typical sign of low refrigerant in the A/C system. The low pressure switch is turing the compressor off to prevent damage to the compressor. The A/C control say turn on the compressor, the compressor starts, the pressure is low, the low pressure switch turns the compressor off, and the cycle starts all over again and again and again.

Regarding the white smoke, etc. Check the end of your tail pipe. Is there a sliippery wet residue there? Not just wet, as in water, but something that is quite a bit more "slippery" than plain water when you rub it between your fingers, but not as slippery as motor oil?

P.S. Did you notice the coolant leak due to the puddles, during a routine underhood check, or because it got low enough for the engine to overheat on you?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,

I will refill the refrigerant, hopefully this wil solve issue number one..

As for the smoke, There is nothing but water out of the tailpipe, on occasion. It was always like that, but the smoke starter recently.

The coolant issue, I noticed it a while ago due to puddles, i went to the mechanic, he told me my heater core is leaking. He put some stuff into it to help it clog a bit, and I think it did cause i do not see puddles anymore, but the system gets low sometimes anyway. I was driving between NY and Boston the other day for a good 3 1/2 hours, and when i had the fan running the temperature went CLOSE to Overheat, but didnt actually go on there. I turned the fan off and then it hovered between neutral and slightly hotter then normal. What's going on? The engine seems to be running fine, no issues, so i doubt I have a blown head gasket.

I was thinking maybe the coolant leaks onto the exhaust, and it burns off when i start the car.... no? Thanks!

Szymon Z

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I don't want to be alarmist, as you might be right about the coolant leaking onto the exhaust, but it does sound that you might have a leaky head gasket. A head gasket with a small leak doesn't always noticably impact engine performance. Shops have an instrument which can detect exhaust gas in the coolant, and I believe one can also buy test strips which also do this.

One other way to tell is to talke the spark plugs out and compare them -- if there is a coolant leak into one or two of the cylinders, these plugs often will be exceptionally clean looking as compared to the others.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it mean that if I have a head gasket slightly blown, means there is deffinately coolant going in there? What does coolant have to do with the head gasket?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"What does coolant have to do with the head gasket?"

A break in the head gasket can allow coolant into the combustion chamber, since coolant flows between the block and the head, with the head gasket separating the passage from the combustion chamber at the head/block interface. But it all depends upon where the head gasket is leaking, i.e., you can have a blown head gasket and not have any coolant going into the cylinder.

As I said, test the coolant for dissolved exhaust gases. If there are exhaust gases in the coolant, you have a head gasket problem. Or do the simple plug inspection to get a rough indication as to whether you might have a gasket problem (not as reliable as the exhaust as test, of course).

I suspect if you did a google on:

exhaust gas coolant head gasket

You would find a lot more detailed explaination.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts