1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a question for all you Vet's

what I have is the following
2001 Focus SE Wagon (Zetec)

When I purchased it the engine was unopened and untouched the mechanic who I purchased it from immediately wrote the engine off as blown
what I have currently come to conclude is the following

-Timing belt is stripped
-cooling system failed (unknown if the engine overheated)
-0 coolant in the engine (not even in lower rad hose)
-TPS tested good for voltage but its the TSB'd one
-PCV tube is holed and collasped (a chunk fell off when I touched it)
-Oil is clean and new
-Fuel tank is 93% full of Premium
-Powersteering fluid is full and clean
-Transmission fluid is clean, I am unsure of its level due to the engine must be running to check)

Engine cranks harshly but does manage to fire (as in sputter, not running) even with no timing belt

Battery is at 13.37 volts

heres a vid of the engine cranking over (I havn't cranked this engine over in over a week so I was surprise with the sputter that quick)

Also- Ive already made plans and going to pickup a Zetec off a car that was recently written off from a member on the forums.. Im asking this cuz if its just acting stupid and will in fact run I will offer it to the FF Members as a project engine real cheap

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I dun wanna dump money on that engine tho.. I already made a deal for another Zetec thats going to replace that one... I don't wanna scrap that motor if its possibly still usable without alot of money put into it, for somone to rebuild/mod there engine :)

I was gunna redo everything on that motor but found its easier just to grab another.. mod it during winter and throw it in after I'm done also gives me an excuse to do a full detail on the engine bay which is in decrepid condition LOL

Plus from the same seller I grabbed a whole LIST of parts needed including 2 straight clean rims to replace the shattered(its fractured in 3 spots but still holds air)/severely ground down rims on wagon 1 after we were cutoff and mounted a angled curb at 70 :(
also there both REALLY warped so im going to make them spare tire rims and get rid off the doughnuts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
If it cranks over it's good in my book, depending on price of course.

The over heating isn't a real big deal so long as it wasn't for a long duration, I'd say hours. Few minutes to a half hour shouldn't hurt a thing so long as your not WOT 100% of the time.

I say buy just a timing belt and grab the garden hose and fill it up. If it runs you win then spend some money on quality parts and fluids.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D I would if I didn't commit myself to the FF member on buying his engine plus I wanna be able to mod it the way I want ( not performance mods either) Im talkin longevity as in change some of the routing of the wires, completely revamp that stinkin collapsing PCV rubber hose to something alot better and suited for back there

change all the ATX shifting Solenoids.. have the tranny inspected change all the balljoints Tierods.. redo some of the plumbing you know clean the crap out of the engine compartment

as Per I know the previous owner didn't give a single ounce of respect for that poor Wagon [mecry]

absolutely everything including the interior is in complete shambles.. every plastic trim peice has either a hockey skate blade scratch or rubber puck scuff heck even the back passenger window ( the one behind the rear door) was scratch and scuffed bad from the inside...

9 hours in the pit of hell ( as I call the inside of that car right now) it looks and smells a HECK of alot better but still tons of work.. Im removing absolutely EVERY trimpeice and cleaning it down then retreating the finish with Vinyl/Plastic restorer

as for the engine in the car its coming out either way I just wanted to know if I should hold onto it for either parts, offer to someone to rebuild [wrenchin] or just junk it

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
as for the engine in the car its coming out either way I just wanted to know if I should hold onto it for either parts, offer to someone to rebuild [wrenchin] or just junk it
Well being scrap is WAY down you may as well just give it away if you don't want it. Last I looked Aluminum was 35 cents/pound and iron was 3 cent a pound. Horrible considering it was near 80 and 25 just a few months ago.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahah are you kidding no one around my area pays for scrap engines what I meant was call the wrecker leave it on my driveway and tell them to take it hahahah ( the engine not the car )

Who knows I may crack it open once the new engine is in and running and make a thread about it, take some pics and see what actually is goin on

I have a gut feelin the waterpump went took some timing belt teeth with it and the bare spot hit the crank and its now just spinning... I do know the belt is still in once piece ( except for the teeth that is LOL) its almost impossible to remove it from the side or the top so its still on the cranks

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
^ Very likely. Water pumps cause a lot of timing belt failures. You should always replace the water pump and tensioner at the same time as doing a timing belt.

Um, I'd install a timing belt, water pump, tensioner and then check compression before firing. I wouldn't even change the oil, or put in any coolant/water until it fired and ran. That motor will likely be running with an investment of 8 hrs, and around $200. Then you can use the wagon to go pickup a new motor at your convenience. The engines are not as big of a fault in the Focus as the AT is. For long life, I'd save for a transmission over engine stuff. You can still get a beefed up street trans from Lentech in Canada although it no longer appears on their website.

Sputtering on a missing timing belt is typical. You still have spark and fuel, so eventually something goes boom. It's also possible to get fire back through the intake and blow the end caps off of injectors if you keep doing it.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heheheh that would be funny..[histerical] blow the end caps off

yeah I'm going to be picking up the replacement engine in about a week's time

plus you were right when I went to take another couple of pics for somone on how to check the tps I pulled off the intake and it was smokin more then I was XD can we say lovely backfire

yeah I wanna put a lower mileage Engine in and one that I can get at least half of its life from the previous owner on what has been done on it and so on and so forth.. :D

now to get absolutely wasted [drinking] call up a bunch off buddies and see which sucker err I mean friends wanna help me yank that motor out hehehehe from what I see its gunna be a tool to remove due to all the hoses ( I see about 9 times as many pipes runnin around that bay then the last engine I swapped which was a 4cyl Quad 4 with a deto'd head, bent rod, shot rings, spun/eaten bearings and can piss more oil then the exxon in 3 min from a 95 Crapalier

Just for giggles heres what it looks like now

[:(] Sadly he bailed on the car 5 months after the new engine, new clutch rebuild, rebuilt 5 speed and front end... the cars sitting there rusting away
I've tried for 6 months to sell it no one wants it 1 week straight on the frint end/engine replacement and $1300 in parts thats gunna be scrapped

1 - 9 of 9 Posts