Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal. I drive an '87 RX-7 which also has passive rear steer. The only way to replace it is to buy the entire hub (with the bushing pre-inserted)... for $600... per side. Or get rid of it with eliminator bushings for $20 total. Guess which way people tend to go, on an already controversial system, with its rep made even worse by people with 20 year old worn out bushings?

I'm looking into other cars to see if I can get lucky and find a replacement. So I'd really appreciate it if someone could measure their toe bushing so I can see if it fits. The dimensions I need are in this attached image. I understand the dangers of messing with the suspension and possible differences in bushing material but I'll worry about that when I get that far.

Let me get something else out of the way to prevent some myths I'll probably hear: "Rear steer" (really around a 1 degree toe change, not what I'd call steering) has been debated in other forums as much as here, it's all old news to me. It was not some 90's fad; the concept was unpopular from day 1. But auto makers used it anyway and continue to do so to this day on everything from SUV's to the Porsche 911. They're just smart enough to not advertise it now. Even before it was invented, it was a well-proven and track tested idea: a change in toe as part of an aggressive alignment improves handling. But it also increases tire wear. So along comes a system that induces toe change only during turns, problem solved. Racers might have prejudice against it or might not be used to the strange and reduced feedback of rear steer, but both those factors may be overcome. The deciding factor is that it's totally unnecessary when you can just dial in an aggresive alignment, rather than trying to live with the lousy feedback.

By the way, if you plan on keeping your Focus for a couple decades, I'd get replacements now while it's cheap, just to be safe. Maybe your control arm will stay cheaper than our tri-axial floating hub (a what?? yeah... exactly), but it doesn't hurt. I'd store in an air tight bag kept away from light.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking for the toe eliminator bushings. The entire purpose of this project is to get like-stock bushings instead of the toe eliminator bushings. I've seen them before, though I didn't remember the price. See third sentance of first paragraph.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts