Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of selling my 2012 Focus. It has a manual shift, which was really hard to find at the time I bought it, and I see very few classifieds which are not for cars with an automatic. I'm thinking about the pricing and wondering if for a certain type of buyer it would be plus and not a minus.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I'm thinking of selling my 2012 Focus. It has a manual shift, which was really hard to find at the time I bought it, and I see very few classifieds which are not for cars with an automatic. I'm thinking about the pricing and wondering if for a certain type of buyer it would be plus and not a minus.
No, strictly going by Black Book, it deducts $850.

I drive the manual but very few buyers want the manual and few know how to drive them.

You could ask whatever you want for yours in the hope of finding that very specific person that wants the manual but the buyer pool is very limited.

More like a shallow puddle.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I also own a 2012 Focus with manual tranny. I am in the process of ordering a new 2014 ST, and the old car will be traded in. When the dealer mentioned my old car 'was not worth much due to being a manual' I mentioned my soon new car is also a manual, and if it is so worthless they can knock off $5,000 right off since no one wants one anyway...

My take on the issue is it is true few people really want a manual tranny car, but for those who DO it is valuable, and the ONLY thing they want..

Some say dealers do not even want to take a auto MK3 Focus in trade. My dealer is giving me a fair amount IMO for my car. They sell a lot of ST so they might have a buyer for a manual tranny used SE with sport package and a manual.

All you can do is ask. The manual is rarer, and might be worth an extra $500. from the Kelly Blue Book wholesale. But generally cars are cars, and folks will not overpay unless it is something really special.
Mainly do you want a quick sale? Or are you willing to hold out for months to get the price you want?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I can never own a manual as a daily commute. I burned out too many clutchs riding them. I can say I was never properly taught correctly I would imagine. But I did own three. My favorite was my GT 6 cylinder Feiro. LOVED that two seater. LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, yeah "riding the clutch" will do it. I commute a long distance. I replaced the clutch in my 2002 Focus just because I thought it was getting to be time and I didn't want to be stranded, but after going to all the work (and it was some) to remove it, it really didn't need to be replaced. I went almost 300,000 miles with that car before I sold it, so a clutch is perfectly fine for commuting if you treat it right. I might have sprung for the auto in this car but that DCT automatic just felt completely strange to me and all the complaints I see about it make me think I did the right thing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I made it to 8000 miles three times lol then on the third time I left It in the bay and walked into the showroom and brought a grand am. That was a POS lol lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A friend of mine had an older Grand Am. That was a GREAT car until her husband blew the engine up. He's gifted. She bought a later model and it's reliable but she doesn't like it too well. Same mistake I made buying my Focus. I liked my last one and figured I'd like the new one. Wrong.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
Probably not in the US and definitely not in a dealer setting. In a couple of years maybe but only time will tell. I'm definitely glad I opted for the 5 speed though.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm not sure what the used market is like in MD but here in CA if you spend a bit for advertising and write your ad well you can get what you want for your car. Sell the features, make it seem rarer than it is, see how many others are selling something similar and how much they are selling it for. Aim a bit higher than what you want so you allow the buyer to negotiate a price closer to what you are actually wanting to sell for. I know you said you want to sell before the end of Oct so get it posted on all the usual sites people use in your area.

Someone out there will want a 5spd 2012 SE and will be willing to buy it at your price if you make it sound sweet enough.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's my strategy. I'm going to have to pay the loan off and get a lien release because nobody is going to pay for a car and then wait for the title. Selling to an individual when there is an existing loan is a pain. That's one reason the dealers get away with offering you a pittance for it. It really is a nice car. It's just a bad fit for me.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
It's sad to say, but manuals are not very desireable these days by the general US population. Realistically speaking, the only people who buy manual vehicles are enthusiasts.

Considering that your focus isn't the ST or even a titanium, it makes that demographic of potential buyers even smaller.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's all a matter of perception and a bit of gamesmanship if you're working with a dealer. I recently traded my '13 manual Focus for a '14 manual Fusion. The trade was not a requirement of sale, but was evidently more attractive to the dealer than my stand alone purchase offer.

I had researched the used Focuses on their lot ahead of time -- mileage, tranny, body type and asking price, so when they gave me a low-ball offer I pointed out that mine had fewer miles, was factory maintained, was "the closest thing" to a ST (ie: stick) and they would be lucky to snap it up. It would be a true bargain for them compared with their "sale" prices on their existing inventory.

They did -- paid me 1K more than I was asking privately plus i got another 1K in Ford trade in incentives. I ended up after one year and 16K miles within $600 of what I paid for the Focus (not including T&L) after factory and dealer incentives. Sometimes the best defense is a strong offense!

Got a good price on the Fusion stick (after all what Fusion driver in his right mind would want a stick?) after dealer and factory incentives. [8D]

PS: The Focus had been great -- problem free, fun to drive and outstanding fuel economy -- just couldn't keep two cars. The fusion (finally got the elusive 6-speed) is even better in most areas -- getting about 2 MPG less (about 34-35 MPG) so far overall -- exceeded my expectations.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
'14 manual Fusion.
[ohcrap]

Damn you are such a lucky guy. Almost impossible to find that.

Is that the ecoboost 2.0L model?

Fusion 6 Speed 2.0L ecoboost was my first purchase decision but couldn't find one. So I went with the 5spd focus instead!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, only 1943 built in '13 and '14 and now discontinued. There is still some inventory around though -- you can find them through the Ford existing "extended" inventory by various regions. I couldn't find one at all in 2013 -- had to travel about 100 miles for this one and am pleased as punch about it! The option and color on this one was just about perfect for me -- really lucked out! The only configuration built was the 1.6 L Ecoboost for the stick.

I'll be happy to post a review if anyone is interested.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
[ohcrap]

Damn you are such a lucky guy. Almost impossible to find that.

Is that the ecoboost 2.0L model?

Fusion 6 Speed 2.0L ecoboost was my first purchase decision but couldn't find one. So I went with the 5spd focus instead!
No. The only Fusion with a 6 speed manual is the 1.6 L EcoBoost that's discontinued beyond 2014. The 1.6 L Engine was already replaced by the 1.6 L EcoBoost in every other Fusion with the automatic.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Yes, only 1943 built in '13 and '14 and now discontinued. There is still some inventory around though -- you can find them through the Ford existing "extended" inventory by various regions. I couldn't find one at all in 2013 -- had to travel about 100 miles for this one and am pleased as punch about it! The option and color on this one was just about perfect for me -- really lucked out! The only configuration built was the 1.6 L Ecoboost for the stick.

I'll be happy to post a review if anyone is interested.
Sign me in

1 - 20 of 35 Posts