Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I blacked out my interior, and my visors have become VERY sticky (you will see where paint has cam off because they were stuck to my headliner). So, time to change them.

I went to the junk yard to try to find some of the "fuzzy" earlier focus visors. They didn't have any foci so I took one of mine in to find a match.

Cougar's are pretty darn close, they are going to take a little fabing though.

Here is what I have so far...

Here is a comparison of stock and the Cougar's, see the contour of the right side.

Fitment requires a switch of this piece...

Like this...

Here is how it looks installed, it's not perfect but I can deal with it till I can get early Focus visors or I figure out how to make them fit. Paint will happen soon, better this time.

Yes, I know I need to touch up/repaint a ton of areas. I was in a hurry the first time around.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
What did you use for paint?

·
Registered
130 Posts
When you get the fuzzy earlier ones your gonna like them painted..It takes some time to peel that safety sticker..But it comes off..Just peel and scratch with your nail.Mine have lasted about 2 years with the fabric paint.So its time for a touch up on mine..Good luck on finding them..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a fabrifabric paint on the headliner and that worked great where the visors didn't stick to it. For the rest I used a flat black plastic spray paint (krylon?). That also worked pretty good on everything but the visors. I should have sanded and primed, I didn't. I did use 2 coats.

I was living in an apt. and had to paint in the grass then bring parts inside. I hurried myself.

Forgot to mention the new ones were only $1!

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
Funny, I went to the junkyard and got some cloth visors today, they had a ton of passenger sides but I had to really look around for a drivers side.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
For the rest I used a flat black plastic spray paint (krylon?).
Well, I can see the paint coming off, but sticky? Something else going on here I think. Anyway. Thanks. I struggle with paint stuff, so when someone has an issue I like to know what went wrong only so I don't repeat if possible. [wiggle]

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just double checked, the brand was Krylon. They didn't just get sticky, they got hella sticky. Everything stuck to them. Sunglasses I would store up there, the headliner, your hands when you would pull them down. Never left my hands sticky, just sticky themselves.

What I did wrong? I think I just used the wrong paint. I bet there is a vinyl paint made for such things. I painted thiem in direct sunlight too, that could have done something. It was about 85° that day too, and humid.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Ahh! I see now. Thanks. Yes, Plastic paint is not intended for vinyl. There are adhesion promoters in plastic paint that will react with vinyl (this from a chat I had with the rust-oleum tech support folks, amongst other subjects). Your visors then are slowly melting, or you just invented 'post-it-notes' type visor for the car (that may be handy come to think of it). I don't think the heat would be a problem, and I think the humidity (typically 60% limit) is for a gloss finish (more than that and you may get dulling).

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went to anottheryey local junk yard today and found Focus felt visors. Pulled them and went to pay for them, $30! I said forget it. He said they were a hot item and they sell them all day.... out of six Foci only one was missing the visors. There was a Focus with black leather interior but I didn't even ask what he wanted for them.

Edited to add they were DIRTY.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
SEM Colorcoat Landau Black. You're welcome.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Is this a tip for interior color for the pillars and stuff or the visors?
I've seen it used on plastic and vinyl without chipping, or scratching. It leaves a very OEM finish. Below is a picture of a custom S14 surround. It's painted with SEM Texture coat for texture and sprayed with SEM Landau Black.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Did that mounting bracket just pull out? I found another visor that may work, but have issues with the mounting. I was prying to pry the base loose from the pin, but wonder if I should just pull the whole thing out like you did. I assumed it went all the way across top of visor, not just a few inches like you show.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did that mounting bracket just pull out? I found another visor that may work, but have issues with the mounting. I was prying to pry the base loose from the pin, but wonder if I should just pull the whole thing out like you did. I assumed it went all the way across top of visor, not just a few inches like you show.
Yup, just pull it out. I was trying to pry for a while and gave up. What you see is all that was in there. Same for the cougar one but it was lighted, I just tore out all the wires.

If yours works please post it up. Might be better than these. Though I have gotten them much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts