Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I searched and read and searched and read and while there were many posts which asked for opinions about the Cosworth Level one upgrade kit each thread quickly got off topic.
  • Is the Cosworth Level one upgrade kit recommend?
    Is the kit worth the money?
    Are there any other members in the Las Vegas area?
I recently (yesterday) bought a 2006 Focus ZX4 ST. What I am looking to do now is unlock some of the potential of this car.

Your collective thoughts and guidance would be very much appreciated.

Background
  • I doubt I represent the typical demographic for this forum. I would probably be considered an "old fart" by most which means I am married and over 40. My car background includes multiple countries and I have had a number of cars (exotics, modified, dead stock). I also have some club racing experience and generally manage to avoid doing much of my own mechanical work which is probably best for all concerned. I have been fortunate to find others interested in trading their mechanical talents for shared seat time.

Recent job changes dictate a 50 mile daily round trip for which I have been reluctantly using my Maserati. However, the general standard of Las Vegas driving, the cost of fuel, wear and tear and the increasing likelihood of obtaining a triple digit speeding ticket have lead me to seek a more practical daily driver. Thus - the ST.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
from what i understand there might be an issue with the powersteering resivour. what are your plans with this car. the upgrade kits are great if you are going to go huge n/a power but the revs are gonna be high...

personally, i'd start out with a focussport cold air inatake and a nice 2.5" exhaust

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: What are your plans for this car?

Thanks for the response.

What are my plans for this car? Excellent question.

It will be used for:
  • Daily driver - wife will not be using so can be "quirky"
  • Light Project car - If I can find a willing cohort I might be up for documenting our efforts.
  • Light track - I instruct and might be inclined to give ride-alongs and lead follow instruction.
Re: Cosworth Stage 1 - "Might be an issue with the power steering reservoir"
Thanks - That's enough to stop my thoughts of going down that path cold.

Focussport CAI
It was when I was looking at this that I tripped over the Cosworth options. Thanks for the redirection back to my starting point. This actually looks easy enough for me to install myself.

Exhaust - I'll have to read up some more to see what's recommended.

Oil Cooler
Given the hot climate here I was considering putting an Oil Cooler high on my purchase list. Also perhaps an uprated radiator.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
If you have the money, I would say check other places for the same stuff. Although Cosworth is the only company currently selling an intake manifold, you can get a CAI from any major Focus vendor, such as FocusSport, AEM, etc. The computer retune you can simply get an Xcal 1 or Xcal 2 from either Wayne or Tom or even FocusSport, although I would recommend Wayne from personal experience.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks - Who's Wayne?

Thanks for the advice.

The FocusSport CAI and Hypnotic Illusions tune package are now ordered.

Not sure where I am going with the exhaust yet - I need to learn some more about the ramifications of eliminating the 2nd Cat. I am also going to want to locate a local installer for this item.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
who is randy all these names get confusing to me I know wayne but who else sells the tuner and which is best. And philusher welcome to the site I myself have learned so much from here.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
the onl reason i really really like focussport is becuase all they do all day is work on foci.

tuning is wayne's side job.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Re: All they do is work on Foci

reason i really really like focussport is becuase all they do all day is work on foci
Very sound thinking. I have graced Focus Sport with some of my business and high on my list of reasons is because of their dedicated nature.

However, I am also aware that hobbyists and "part-timers" are often extremely talented. That they choose (or need) to work in a field that dramatically differs from their hobby doesn't necessarily diminish their skill, professionalism or insight. Moreover someone who's need to generate income is not closely coupled with the work will often produce a better work product. This is can be especially true of intellectual work such as software development.

Error 33. It must also be said that I will not generally place a part-timer's delivery in my critical path.

I bought from Wayne (Hypnotic Illusions Automotive) an XCal 2 with his associated "tunes". Communication was excellent and delivery was extremely prompt.

I have not used Wayne's tunes yet as I first need schedule some time with my friendly performance tuning shop. We plan to take a baseline with the stock car, add the CAI (Cosworth version) and review the change. Then we'll apply Wayne's work and review again. Following that I will decide what additional development I want to do with the car.

If you want to follow my progress you may do so via my Focus Project Journal

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
the onl reason i really really like focussport is becuase all they do all day is work on foci.

if you have ever been to focussport this is far from the truth

and wayne is a reputable guy, that why everone recommends him.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Tell me how your dyno run goes with the xcal hooked up

Tell me how your dyno run goes with the xcal hooked up
Certainly; When done I shall update my site with the information and drop a summary with links into this forum.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Another 40 year old fart, here.

In dyno tests, the Marcy Motorsport CAI made the most horses. I got one and the increase in power is noticeable.

As for the Cosworth stuff, I say too expensive and power gains are too high in the RPM range. Some who got the hella expensive intake manifold reported big losses in lower end performance (read street/daily driver issues). Also, the intake is aluminum which gets heated up by the underhood temps, the composite intake that is stock on the Focus is less susceptable. Additionally, the Cosworth pieces are for the 2.3 Dura.

Frankly, there ain't a lot out there for us now. I was gonna get the Marcy 2.5 block and header/exhaust for my car, but Marcy doesn't even list built blocks on his website anymore and Tom isn't into the platform anymore either. Instead of growing, the market appears to be shrinking.

I am getting perturbed and displeasured over the whole deal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Disapointing

I am getting perturbed and displeasured over the whole deal.
Thanks for the feedback. The cosworth CAI has arrived. I consider myself committed now and I'll try to fit it next week.

I had not considered the aluminum heat issue or "the makes power only at high revs" issue. So thanks for that information; I'll confirm or refute in due course.

As for the market I have a few thoughts:

General Market
It does look as if interest in providing aftermarket focus products is dropping. However, it's also possible that this drop in market interest (or at least in specialized representation) is perhaps simply a reduction to appropriate levels. For the good of the market fewer more reliable choices may generate interest from those who might otherwise have stayed away.

Too many Focus Versions
One problem is that Ford keep introducing changes. This produces configuration management challenges for product providers and confusion amongst potential buyers. Were the Ford product to remain "less" changed then aftermarket providers could spend more time refining their product and less creating derivatives to work with the different foci.

Resurgence through racing
NASA Spec Focus Racing Series. This race series may create a resurgence. A specified series such as this provides a proving ground for products and focal point of interest. Arguably the introduction is two years late but may still be early enough to make a difference.

·
Registered
345 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:

ever hear of eurosport? well thats focussports vdub counterpart which randy and vik and the rest of the crew all partake in. fswerks?? also non-focus. as for whats being discussed hear, I personally think cosworth parts are extremely overpriced and not worth the money:power ratio. I have seen people with a random matching of mods and tuning putting the same if not more power and tq down fro less or equal money. convience wise cosworth is great, everything wrapped up in a nice little, but i must admit, sexy, package. everyone discusses the crap ford throws at us but it just seems like people are unwilling to work with what they are being given as well. you can bitch, but you can't change it, suck it up and move on. every car will have its problem to overcome and the focus is no different. the duratec is fairly new. things are still being produced for the zetecs, albeit not much anymore. give it time. the market will come around. we have a lot of great minds out there working on parts for our cars...it just takes time. phil, welcome and good luck with the car. your gonna love wayne's tune.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I know this threads been dead for a couple weeks now but I had to bring it back...Phil Usher welcome to the forums! I was wondering if you have any of your dyno results yet?

Dan K

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
wow your website is really informative and professional looking...sweet

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Difference more "felt" than seen.

Tell me how your dyno run goes with the xcal hooked up, Phil. :)
Comparing the stock dyno graph with the tuned graph didn't show much difference in peek performance. Some changes to spark, fuel and removal of speed limiter all stood out but but otherwise not much visible difference.

However, the changes did seem to make the car feel more responsive. Which suggests that other changes (which we didn't look for) were a part of the package. I also suspect the Hypnotic adjustments may include changes to throttle response (need to check this with Wayne) which produce an effect of "peppiness".

I am not disapointed. The XCal2 is a necessary tuning component and Waynes price is not at all unreasonable. Wonder if he has a Cosworth CAI tune?

See http://www.philusher.com/Focus/ for more information.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Perhaps if i'm in henderson to visit my grandparents I will be in contact about possible race lessons!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts