Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of research on this and I know i'm going with a cosworth or the knock off. but my question is I have a virtually unmodified engine. it has lunch box delete and some different plugs. would this mod make sense for me to do? I plan on modding it more eventually but as my dd I figure have her breath better before I go internal. idk need some input here.[?]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't think that would be great as a first mod., you'd need a tune to have that work & your money per improvement would prob. be better spent on header plus tune.

Exh. is more restricted than the intake to start, and the Cosworth setup helps more at higher rpm where the unchanged exh. would be restricting it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright what would you suggest ex header wise nothing crazy I'm going to boost it eventually.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Alright what would you suggest ex header wise nothing crazy I'm going to boost it eventually.
Have you priced out what it costs? A 23 head would help. I was going to yrs ago & passed on it & went w/ the typical bolt ons= fwerks header, crane cams, tune. A torsen diff would really help also.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I know a friend of mine gained over 20whp with that manifold BEFORE a tune. He had pretty much everything else done though as far as bolt ons. I can tell you it is my next investment.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
That'd be the last thing I'd do. Take the difference & put it toward a 23 motor.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not everyone wants an engine swap, 'specially if they have a good one now.

OP needs to think about the long term plans seriously, as Felix mentioned forced induction is a BIG investment all at once & few end up doing it.

None of the typical N/A mods work with boost (except a tuner & that needs more $ to upgrade the tune) so it's all something to sell off used or toss when going boost later.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
The 2.3 isn't that much more powerful of a motor. The shorter stroke of the 2.0 allows a faster and higher rev which is something to be thought of

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not interested in swapping motors for sheer power. no worth time nor money of it to me. but it is an option I could swap heads any block modification in that? I know there are very small differences in 2.0 and 2.3 but I don't know fully what they are. yeah "None of the typical N/A mods work with boost (except a tuner & that needs more $ to upgrade the tune) so it's all something to sell off used or toss when going boost later. " I was just doing some more wishful thinking lets say haha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what kinda gains did you get out of that fswerks header? note tone on it good? I don't want a ricer Honda sound as much as I can being a four cyl and all.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I just did a f2 header, I'll upload a video later. I did pulleys and a header the intake is stock, and exhaust is a stock lunchboxless catback

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nothin' wrong with staying N/A, you can add things as you want to (or not) and enjoy what you have.

2.3 head is popular, but that's a major mod.. Only done for serious big $ builds in general.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok veering away from that idea being a broke kid and all haha and I would really like that SlickWilly any real noticeable gains running just that though? I was looking at some fswerks race exhausts and i'm in love with the crackle but another option I found today was motorsport racing exhausts I guess?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
http://youtu.be/Q_ySCxxk60I

The difference between the two motors is really hard to negotiate putting in all that effort. I drive both on a daily bases and I can not feel a differnce. I have a hard time doing the head because there's on 8hp difference between the two motors and how much of that is in the stroke of the motor.

Pulleys are more noticeable then the header for daily driving but the header seems to add some power on the high end, I feel like the car is having a less of a struggle. I can take it to the track that will really show me or break me. I know the car that was running this header was running mid 12s on a 2.0.

The header, oh how I wish it was quieter. I was expecting quieter then it is but nope, not even the stock exhaust helps much. But it's not awful with the stock exhaust , just sounds cheesy.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It doesn't have to be long, it just has to be longer to rev slower. I'm also not saying it doesn't rev high, it could potentially rev just as high, but it would take more power. Given that there is pros and cons of a 2.3 swap but the pros don't outweigh or balance the cons

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If your doing a mild build a 2.3 head is probably perfect, an aggressive build either head would work because you'd probably be ready to start porting at that point

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah nothing crazy I mean way down the line I might but not now. Plus in my state and area I can have loud and love loud haha. And what underdrives did you go with ?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Sounds like you both are sticking w/ 20's, so w/ that I throw a 23 head on board w/ a pr of mild cams. W/ the 23 you also get a dual runner i/m. For a header I like the fwerks header. A stock 23 head flows more then you'll need, so if you do anything, add SS valves. btw yea could be the 20 rev's, but the grunt of the 23 is [grinking] on the street.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I think that'll be the best option thanks for the direction Felix I appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts