Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have in my hands..the beautiful Cosworth duratec header! I don't have the flexpipe yet but it is slowly making its way to my house from new edge performance..I guess it was the last one Tony had so I called not a minute too late. Anyways I will attempt to put it on at some point in the next week so I'll keep you all posted! I'll try and get some pictures of the install, final product, and maybe even a sound clip or two. Can't wait!![8D]

Oh yah and the SVT suspension arrived as well...and I'm expecting the rest of the stuff in the next two days. I dunno what's going on my summer project first though.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Enjoy. It will take a few hours, and make sure to have a 15mm socket and wrench. You will need both for the header bolt removal/install. Also, prolly the longest part is the removal of the heat shield. It can be a bitch.

If you don't have tuning yet, it will throw a code, but it won't actually hurt. The fact that you have a pzev might be something to look into, but I don't know the specifics about removing that stuff, cause I didn't have to do that.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up Scott. I anticipate a fairly difficult process...I have never been good at reaching through small spaces to unscrew stuff..so hopefully there won't be too many awkward angles as I have a broken finger. I am going to have the help of my good buddy who--though this does not relate--is majoring in electrical engineering...so two college brains should be enough I hope. Is it really essential that I buy the service manual?

·
Registered
930 Posts
I still don't have even a haynes one..lol. I prolly should get one.

On the header install:

dismount the fuel junk off the firewall. You will be able to move it around enough to get the stocker out and the cossie in without disconnecting it. It took us about four hours start to finish taking our time. Also consider, you can jack it up and remove the flexpipe since it is separate on your car, that will make it easier to get the manifold out than my non PZEV manifold, cause my flexpipe was integrated and non removable, and thus had to come out through the top.

When you reinstall the header bolts, use a small amount of antisieze. Don't over torque them. Get them tight and then about a 1/4 of a turn. After a couple of days, go back in and retighten them if they have loosened. Then make sure they stay that way over time..lol.

It will be loud. Just take it easy around the police!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Oh yeah, some PZEV person chime in on the air pump situation on the cosworth header install. What has to be done different?

·
Registered
930 Posts
netdrgoon said:

dismount the fuel junk off the firewall. You will be able to move it around enough to get the stocker out and the cossie in without disconnecting it.

Just to clarify, I was saying you do not have to disconnect the fuel stuff. I have had little sleep, and it prolly sounded like I was saying to install the header with the flexpipe connected..lol. Not the case!

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
netdrgoon said:
Oh yeah, some PZEV person chime in on the air pump situation on the cosworth header install. What has to be done different?
Me, personally, yanked out that entire system.[}:)]

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long did it take you to finish Egz? I anticipate a tough procedure..but I think I can do it. Would you guys say it's possible to do it without lifting the car up on some ramps or would you recommend I get myself a (better) floor jack? Is the majority of the install done from underneath the car or in the engine bay?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Majority is from the top. You will just need to lift it to unhook the flexpipe and exhaust (and to install them). Pay attention to which o2 sensor is first: that is the one you will be hooking up on the cossie header. The second o2 sensor can just be unclipped from the wiring harness.

Be sure to secure the o2 sensor extension so that it doesn't lay on the header.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
you will spend most of your time under the car trying to find new ways to bend your arms to reach bolts. i think it might be possible to get it out with a jack or ramps or whatever but your neck will be killing you. if possible try to find a lift. it took me 4 hours to install mine.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol..yeah I figured that much. Jason, looks to me like our cars are identical..minus the color. How did your car perform after you put on the header? I have a CAI, catback, 17" and a STS as well.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
power was increased all through the band, but VERY noticable 4000rpms and up and FREAKING loud. expect to be the loudest person around

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
my draxas 4-1 Header took 1.5 hours, an hour to remove old manifold and about 30 mins to put on new one! and NO Check Engine light either, might get a check engine light with the cossie header. the draxas had all Sensor mounts. draxas is the BOMB....sounds badass too

·
2,272 Posts
And when you are finished with yours you can put on mine too. then we will celebrate together!! The header installation process scares me, so I'm going to make good friends with somebody who knows what they are doing so they can help me out.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
yeah... you will eventually get a CEL because the guy at draxas told me PERSONALLY that you will eventually get one... and that without a tune you maybe running lean.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
or you maybe running rich... don't remember which one he said.... duh...LOL

·
Registered
367 Posts
We're all getting headers soon (WickedlyFastST, SD_Focus, and myself), so why don't the three of us get together for a "header day??" I'm sure that put together we are competent enough to get this done, even if it takes four hours!! I think (hope) that this will prove easier done that we think...

BTW: WickedlyFastST, you have PM...

Sorry to hijack, I really hope the Cossie is everthing you hoped it would be, and good luck.
Does it look as good in person as on the pictures?? I always secretly wanted to know that...LOL...

Also, it looks to me like that whole "Cossie header is too big for most" idea is slowly being disspelled as we speak. Hope you find the same thing in your application. I really dont think that you need too much in your motor to take advantage of the Cossie. The only people I hear saying that it's too big don't even have one (AFAIK). Good luck again, I wish you success.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The hardest part of the header installation is to start the installation. The rest is just bolt turning. It takes a little time, but it is worth it. Cossie headers look good BTW, esp. from the passenger side where that little power by cosworth badge is at...:)

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
turbovation said:
How long did it take you to finish Egz?
Well, I'd say I have about a month to go. LOL. Still need to yank the block out.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts