Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I'm building up a new engine with Cosworth connecting rods but I'm unsure if there is a correct orientation of the rod ie what side of the rod faces the front of the engine. The only marking on the rods are the serial#s engraved on the big end and cap and the Cosworth logo printed on one side of the I beam, other than that no other marking are present on the rod to indicate orientation. I've been searching online to see if I can find any info on this but have come up short. Can any one let me know what side of the rod should face the front of the engine? Text side facing forward/backward, serial #'s facing left or right in the engine?
Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean by locking lips, do you mean the indents in the big end bores to align the bearing shells? If so there are none. I'll email Cosworth but I was hoping to get a quick answer here, Cosworth could take a while to respond.
Thanks,

·
FF Affiliate
31,182 Posts
You are correct the Duratec doesnt have them , duratec is crush , I do so many engines , far to many to keep up with each on

The rods do not matter which way they go in , once you install the pistons the pistons do have a front to rear on the tops or a mark to indicate which direction

You may know this but saying it anyway , the rod caps have to go pack on there correct rod and be turned the right direction

Tom

·
Registered
17,561 Posts
I do not know personally, would have to see the rods, like Tom, two ways to go there. I wondered if they had no tabs on the other place I posted as well. But looked and all I found had them, even pics claiming to be Cosworth and duratec. So much for the internet.

If no bearing locators or asymmetrical spit holes then does not matter. I'd just for consistency match all casting numbers one way after you decide which way you want. Easier to remember if engine ever comes back down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's amazing to me is that there is no info on this anywhere. I talked to the vendor I bought the rods from and they didn't know, I've emailed both Cosworth and Carrillo and gotten no response. Tried several other vendors for answers and gotten no response, can't blame them, I didn't buy from them. Crazy, right? Before I put the engine together I'd like to get a definitive answer, there's too much money involved to get it wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Directly from Carrillo
Hello Justin,
These are a symmetrical connecting rod so they can be installed in the engine in either direction. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me at any time.
Best regards,
and the engine is going in the chassis tomorrow[wrenchin]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts