Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm strongly thinking about buying the Cosworth Cold Air Intake System. I have a couple of questions about the system.

1. Do they change the sound of my engine? If so what type of change?
2. What type of power gain would i expect from a 2.3 duratec (atx)? They only have 2.0L's listed on dyno.
3. "3.25” (82.55mm) diameter aluminum mandrel bent tube – 3pcs.
EPDM Rubber coupling hoses
Stainless steel hose clamps
High flow cotton-gauze reusable air filter
Complete installation instructions
CARB approved (pending)
Retains hydrocarbon trap
10+HP

^--------does that Hydrocarbon trap eleminate hydrolocking? If not what can I do to prevent this? I will be going to college at LA and it rains often and the ground is very flat. This is the only reason I havn't ordered it yet. I have heard bad stories about hydrolocking your engine.
4.Im also looking at some Cosworth exhaust systems. If anybody has installed a good exhaust system could you link me the product you have?(2.3 Duratec) Thanx!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
1. Yes it does change the sound, it makes it deeper and louder at mid to high rpm
2. I would say that you will see 8 hp ish with your automatic.
3. The hydrocarbon trap robs you of about 3 hp, but you need it to pass smog. It does nothing about hydrolock, you need an AEM bypass valve for that, and I don't know if those work with the cossie intake.

4. I have the cossie header, it isn't really an option for you if you are concerned about emissions. If you aren't concerned about emissions; why are you getting the cossie intake?? right?

ps I really like the header

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
"does that Hydrocarbon trap eleminate hydrolocking? If not what can I do to prevent this? I will be going to college at LA and it rains often and the ground is very flat. "

I would say you still fall in the 99% percentile of focus owners who are safe from hydrolocking. Unless the water is high enough to come up to your lugnuts on your wheel, I would not worry about it. If water or a flash flood does occur, turn your car off, and wait it out, or call AAA or your local towing people.

The hydrocarbon trap elminates unused fuel vapors that would have otherwised been vented to the open atmosphere. It does nothing to prevent hydrolocking.

Water droplets and anything else are evaporated long before it can do damage. damage occurs when the whole CAI intake pipe with filter is completely submerged under-water. A filter that is soaked and dripping wet with water shouldn't damage an engine.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
You can order a $20 outerwear pre-filter from c-f-m.com to cover the filter. Supposed to be made out of some water repellent matarial. Also keeps the filter cleaner. I just ordered one to play it safe cuz my filter was getting wet. Better safe than sorry.

Just use common sense when driving. See a big ass puddle, don't drive thru the big ass puddle. If your filter gets wet from road splash lay off the gas, drive slower.

Get an intake, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanx, for all the replies i didnt relize the cosworth was about the emissions. No, I am not to worried about emissions in Alabama and LA I dont think they have strict laws down here, because lots of friends have taken the catalyis out. Dont know the word or how its spelt but i know it adds a bit of horsepower when taken out. So should i just get the FS intake? If I order the 2.0 and 2.3 FS intake does it work on both manuals and atx?

·
Registered
930 Posts
FocusSport or Marcy. If you get the Marcy, you might want to get it from newedgeperformance, cause I think Walter has been pretty busy lately. You might end up waiting a while if you order directly from him. Intake is the cheapest power gain you will get NA.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Cajun Boy876 said:
Thanx, for all the replies i didnt relize the cosworth was about the emissions. No, I am not to worried about emissions in Alabama and LA I dont think they have strict laws down here, because lots of friends have taken the catalyis out. Dont know the word or how its spelt but i know it adds a bit of horsepower when taken out. So should i just get the FS intake? If I order the 2.0 and 2.3 FS intake does it work on both manuals and atx?
yes it does. And to be honest while technicallly you need the hydrocarbon trap to pass emissions, most shops don't know and don't care if its in or not. Most likely they aren't even going to look.

My car (atx like yours) still passed inspection missing one cat and having the cai on at the same time.

but like everyone else i reccomend buying either from marcy or focussport. You won't be disappointed. What i do reccomend is that you also buy the exhaust and the xcal 2 next. The xcal 2 made a world of difference on the atx. I have to say its been the best mod yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Coswsorth Intake Manifold AND Cold air intake. It sounds MUCH different. Much louder at all RPM plus a part throttle whistle from the throttle body. Not objectionable but still there.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok, I know I will sound like a idiot. But what is/does the Cosworth Intake Manifold do?

BTW how common is a 2.3L Duratec in a 04 zts. Cause I am the only one that has a 2.3L in this area for my year group.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
don't know how common but I have a 04 2.3 ZTS the intake manifold will allow more air to flow into your engine but if you don't have other mods don't start with this this might help alittle on stock but more with cams and cai-throttle body

1 - 10 of 10 Posts