Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am thinking of getting manual Focus zx3.

I heard that replacing clutch can be really expensive.(sry, I don't have experience with manual drive, so I don't have any idea about this)

How much would that cost for zx3 with zetec engine??

The zx3 I am interested in is 2002 model, and it has about 96000 miles on it.

Plus, how often you should replace the clutch??

Thanks.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
How often you replace it really depends on how its been drove over the years. A good transmission shop, I wouldn't say no more than 1 day and about 3-500 dollars.

·
Registered
247 Posts
mmm id say 3-500 is the labor alone u still need to throw in the clutch, throwout bearing/slave cylinder, and resurface the flywheel so i throw it out to be around a 900-1k

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
a mechanics shop will quote you on labor, the ford dealer will charge you 8 hrs of labor. So figure out ur labor price and tack on about 250 bucks more for the clutch and other parts. Depending on ur driving style, you may never need to change the clutch. clutches can EASILY outlive the car. just depends.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Damn... I didn't know changing a clutch was that expensive!

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
It can't be $900...my eclipse was only $700 and you had to take the full tranny off to get at it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had mine done and the total was $1300. Had to replace the master cylinder also. Labor is a little more expensive in Alaska.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
^Thank you, someone with a reasonable answer....I was beginning to think it would have been better to stay with the eclipse.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
lol pumkinSVT.

Thinking on replacing mine to, plus the flywheel at the same time. and i got 2 friends that can help and a shop i can use.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
It can't be $900...my eclipse was only $700 and you had to take the full tranny off to get at it.
Um, all front wheel drive cars are that way. And an eclipse job is going to be less because there is more aftermarket for that car.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Um, all front wheel drive cars are that way. And an eclipse job is going to be less because there is more aftermarket for that car.
Well awsome. So it really doesn't pay to have a domestic. The repair place compaired the focus to my eclipse when I had the clutch replaced. They said it was different and more labor intensive some how... I knew I should have stayed foreign...I wonder how long my clutch will last...

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
More aftermarket doesnt always mean the car is better. THere is probably 3X the aftermarket for honda crx's, doesnt mean they are better cars.

Having a domestic isnt a bad thing. It all depends on how you treat/drive/maintain your car.

And a clutch will last a long-ass time. It depends on how you drive your car. If you are a bastard to it, like I am, it wont last more than 75K. If you drive like my great-grandmother, the clutch is going to last longer than the car.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
My wife drove her ZTS like a grandma...she just had to replace the clutch plate at 85k...Fortunately, the rest of the parts replaced were warranty so it only cost $120 + $50 warranty fee...but I'm just concerned because I have 45k on my ST and I don't know how the other owner drove it...I can't really afford 1k+. Cross your fingers for long life. Now I seriously regret buying the ST...

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Mine's made it 160k so far...I'm hoping for 200k before I have to sink money into replacing the clutch. I want to be able to replace it myself, and I have a lift, but I don't have transmission jacks to support it.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
Yes, I'm keeping the motor stock for at least a year or two.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts