Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm considering getting the Pre-paid Maintenance on my Focus Ti Hatch. Floodfordesp.com sells the 6yr/75Kmi plan for $890 (incl $50 for buying ESP with it.)

Is it worth it? When you take your Focus to the dealership, how much is an oil change? I've only gone to Jiffy Lube in the past.

Also, how much would changing the brake pads cost? On my last car (VW New Beetle), I had only done that once by 75K miles. Do you think with average driving (30 mi round trip commute with some highway) I would need to do it more than once on the Focus?

Any other major maintenance costs I'm forgetting? Scheduled maintenance seems to be very limited on this car. I'm just trying to figure out if $890 for 75K miles worth of maintenance will have me coming out ahead.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
well 5k intervals @$35 a change is $525 over 75k miles
all brake pads probably 200ish maybe more with labour.
probably do a brake bleed, and coolant too. i think it will cost about the same.

i still vote save the $890 and just do the maintenance yourself. you can get better fluids or parts and still be cheaper since your doing the work. just keep receipts and a log for warrenty reasons

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well 5k intervals @$35 a change is $525 over 75k miles
all brake pads probably 200ish maybe more with labour.
probably do a brake bleed, and coolant too. i think it will cost about the same.

i still vote save the $890 and just do the maintenance yourself. you can get better fluids or parts and still be cheaper since your doing the work. just keep receipts and a log for warrenty reasons
I would love to say that I'd do my own maintenance, but there is just no way that would ever happen. I just don't have the time, the knowledge (or anyone to teach me,) or the desire. I need to compare the cost of the pre-paid plan to the cost of maintenance at a dealer. Thanks though :)

Really only $35 for an oil change at Ford? Not too bad!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hello All,

I'm considering getting the Pre-paid Maintenance on my Focus Ti Hatch. Floodfordesp.com sells the 6yr/75Kmi plan for $890 (incl $50 for buying ESP with it.)

Is it worth it? When you take your Focus to the dealership, how much is an oil change? I've only gone to Jiffy Lube in the past.
It is not worth it.

It is an official Ford website.
They always have coupons for "The Works" for $30 which includes oil change, filter, multipoint inspection, fluid fill up, brake check, tire rotation.
They also have synthetic oil / filter change for $28.
You also have to consider will the dealership ONLY follow the scheduled service for the type of driving you do?... I.e. manual says every 7.5K to 10K mi's does that mean if you want to change your oil at every 3K mile they won't cover it?

Now given that scenario lets calculate out every 3K miles.
So 75K/3K = 25 oil changes. If you have Owner Advantage (free btw), for every 4 oil changes you get 1 free... So in essence in 75K change oil at 3K miles, you would need to pay for 20 oil changes.
You use "The Works" and it is $30 x 20 = $600.

Now let's say you fall under Severe category (every 5K-7.5K mi's change oil)
Calculating at extreme end every 5K.
75K/5K = 15 oil changes. That means you would get 3 oil changes for free.
You use "The Works" and it is $30 x 12 = $360

Now under Normal category (every 7.5K-10K mi's change oil)
Calculating at the high end every 7.5K.
75K/7.5K = 10 oil changes. Means you would get 2 free oil changes.
You use "The Works" and it is $30 x 8 = $240. <<--- This is the category which most people should fall under.

I can't speak for my current dealer, but my old dealer back in San Diego was awesome. I have taken my wife's Saturn to Jiffy, Penzoil and Sears and just horrible service. When I bought my Fusion I kept taking it back to the dealer and every visit was pleasant. So if you have a really nice dealer it is nice to take it back, you can actually build a relationship with them. The sales guy that sold me the vehicle would always talk with me when I brought my car back. BUT atleast for the warranty period I like to take it to the dealer, everything gets added to your VIN in their system, so they can never claim you never did maintenance on your car since they have all records of it... AND you don't have to keep copies of your maintenance receipts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not worth it.

It is an official Ford website.
They always have coupons for "The Works" for $30 which includes oil change, filter, multipoint inspection, fluid fill up, brake check, tire rotation.
They also have synthetic oil / filter change for $28.
You also have to consider will the dealership ONLY follow the scheduled service for the type of driving you do?... I.e. manual says every 7.5K to 10K mi's does that mean if you want to change your oil at every 3K mile they won't cover it?

Now given that scenario lets calculate out every 3K miles.
So 75K/3K = 25 oil changes. If you have Owner Advantage (free btw), for every 4 oil changes you get 1 free... So in essence in 75K change oil at 3K miles, you would need to pay for 20 oil changes.
You use "The Works" and it is $30 x 20 = $600.

Now let's say you fall under Severe category (every 5K-7.5K mi's change oil)
Calculating at extreme end every 5K.
75K/5K = 15 oil changes. That means you would get 3 oil changes for free.
You use "The Works" and it is $30 x 12 = $360

Now under Normal category (every 7.5K-10K mi's change oil)
Calculating at the high end every 7.5K.
75K/7.5K = 10 oil changes. Means you would get 2 free oil changes.
You use "The Works" and it is $30 x 8 = $240. <<--- This is the category which most people should fall under.
WOW I am very grateful for all the info!!! Thanks so much for that website with the coupon! I am fairly confident I will fall into the "Normal" category. I really just drive to work, the mall, and maybe a couple of 500-1000 mile round trip road trips a year.

·
Registered
395 Posts
BTW this is the coupon I was talking about:

The Works. Fuel Saver Package. $29.95 after $10 rebate.

• Oil Change • Tire Rotation • Brake Inspection • Multi-Point Inspection • Fluid Top-Off • Battery Test • Filter Check • Belts and Hoses Check No Appointment Necessary.

Retail purchases only. Up to five quarts of Motorcraft® Premium Synthetic Blend oil and Motorcraft oil filter. Taxes, diesel vehicles, and disposal fees extra. Hybrid battery test excluded. Rebate must be submitted by 9/30/11. See Service Advisor for vehicle exclusions and rebate details. Offer valid with coupon.

·
Registered
395 Posts
And it is not really a "Coupon" per say. There have been a few times when I forgot to print it and take it with me and I just mentioned I wanted "The Works" they automatically price the entire package and give me the rebate form at the service counter...

Again YMMV from dealership.

Oh btw to be more fair in the calculation it is more of $45 (after taxes/fees) - $10 rebate = ~$35 for each change. But you do get something like $2-$3 for being a Owner Advantage member for each change.

·
Registered
672 Posts
What's in the package should be very specific. Look at the service book you have and you should be able to figure it out. I doubt if it would cover brake pads. Even the original warranty didn't. So much depends on the dealer. Part of the service is the 28? point inspection. One dealer will do it, another you're lucky. One dealer (include technician) will find you need a brake job, and another won,t. One will indicate you need a power steering flush, which I doubt is even in the service schedule.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I do my own oil changes. i am now 62 years old, but i had been doing them for many years.
I despise going to a fast lube place as they have a bad tendency to strip or leave loose the drain plug!
So i do it myself, and a spend the difference in savings on synthetic oil (Mobil One)

One thingi found to definitely do is a brake system flush, at least just one time, after say a year. It REALLY matters a lot with antilock brakes. Then aafter six years if you still own the car.
Replacing the fluid with DOT 5 is great. Usually it is easy to do once you have a few bits of stuff to do the work.
And since I have a manual transmission, that also uses the Brake fluid for the pressure line, and is good to refresh also. Manual transmission fluid is a one time replace after about two years. Auto tranny should also be flushed after a few years just a one time needed.

The coolant is an easy thing to keep up on. You really NEVER have to change it.
How? Just suck all the overflow tank fluid out once every year, and fill just that with new stuff. The overflow tank is actually circulating into the radiator every time you drive, so a little over and over new each year, keeps the stuff good to go forever. My last Ford Contour ASVT I owned 12 yers, and did that, and it still has good protection, clean fluid, and never hat to flush and refill.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I do my own oil changes. i am now 62 years old, but i had been doing them for many years.
I despise going to a fast lube place as they have a bad tendency to strip or leave loose the drain plug!
So i do it myself, and a spend the difference in savings on synthetic oil (Mobil One)

One thingi found to definitely do is a brake system flush, at least just one time, after say a year. It REALLY matters a lot with antilock brakes. Then aafter six years if you still own the car.
Replacing the fluid with DOT 5 is great. Usually it is easy to do once you have a few bits of stuff to do the work.
And since I have a manual transmission, that also uses the Brake fluid for the pressure line, and is good to refresh also. Manual transmission fluid is a one time replace after about two years. Auto tranny should also be flushed after a few years just a one time needed.

The coolant is an easy thing to keep up on. You really NEVER have to change it.
How? Just suck all the overflow tank fluid out once every year, and fill just that with new stuff. The overflow tank is actually circulating into the radiator every time you drive, so a little over and over new each year, keeps the stuff good to go forever. My last Ford Contour ASVT I owned 12 yers, and did that, and it still has good protection, clean fluid, and never hat to flush and refill.
These are all great suggestions! The only thing I will add is this... if you have a PowerShift (automatic) Focus, it's a dry-clutch setup and you don't have any fluid to worry about! One less thing to keep track of!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts