Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Focus Sedan with 181k on it. I've replaced/repaired so much stuff on this car, its practically a new car on an old frame (most recently, I had the transmission rebuilt last winter). I just got my first 'real' job after college, and it looks like I'll be stuck with the Focus for at least a couple more years. Living in Michigan, our cars rust out quickly and mine is not an exception. Specifically, the rocker panels and bottoms of the doors are rusting out. Also, the passenger side rear wheel-well area is rusting (looks like someone's done some body work there previously).

I attempted to repair this rust a couple of years ago, and it turned out worse than before (I learned that I'm not a good auto-body man haha). To be honest with you, I'm embarrassed to be driving this car around, let alone take ladies out in it. So since I'm stuck with it for a few more years, I'm looking at having this rust repaired. In fact, the paint on the entire car is really faded, so I think I'll just have the entire car repainted at the same time (prob be easier for them to get the paint in the repaired areas to match the rest of the car).

So I'm wondering what a reasonable cost would be for welding on two new rockerpanels, cleaning up the wheel-wells and the bottoms of the doors (possibly adding sheetmetal to the bottom of one door). I was given a rough estimate by a local Maaco shop for $1k, but I'm not sure if that's a good price or not. What do you all think?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm also considering replacing the front bumper with an SVT version. I didn't mention this to the guy who gave me the quote from Maaco, how much extra do you guys think this would cost in labor?

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
i think a gand to do rockers and the wheel well arches is a reasonable price but idk that id trust maacos rust repair. id pay a little extra for a body shop thats known for doing good work with rust repair so it doesnt come back in 6-8 months

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Maaco is NOT going to do a good enough job to warrant that kind of savings. That type of job with a full re-paint should be north of double that cost (which is more money than your car is probably worth nowadays.)

if it were me, I'd go to a junkyard and find the black plastic rocker-cover/sideskirts from a hatchback, then wire-wheel and POR-15 the rusty parts of the rockers and throw the covers on 'em. for the bottoms of the doors and the quarterpanel rust you COULD wire-wheel, weld on necessary patches, POR-15, then touch up with filler and paint.....but it's going to cost anyways.

What color is the car? that plays a big role in how to attack this. Black or white would be SUPER easy to blend therefore saving having to get the whole car painted. Colors with metallic are MUCH harder.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I agree with what you said except, imo, black is the hardest color to do bodywork on and get it to look straight.
I was speaking in terms of spraying just a small area that was worked on and getting the color to blend so's not to make it noticable work was done....but yes you're right about that part.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,317 Posts
Whatever you want it can be done

I have a 2000 Focus Sedan with 181k on it. I've replaced/repaired so much stuff on this car, its practically a new car on an old frame (most recently, I had the transmission rebuilt last winter). I just got my first 'real' job after college, and it looks like I'll be stuck with the Focus for at least a couple more years. Living in Michigan, our cars rust out quickly and mine is not an exception. Specifically, the rocker panels and bottoms of the doors are rusting out. Also, the passenger side rear wheel-well area is rusting (looks like someone's done some body work there previously).

I attempted to repair this rust a couple of years ago, and it turned out worse than before (I learned that I'm not a good auto-body man haha). To be honest with you, I'm embarrassed to be driving this car around, let alone take ladies out in it. So since I'm stuck with it for a few more years, I'm looking at having this rust repaired. In fact, the paint on the entire car is really faded, so I think I'll just have the entire car repainted at the same time (prob be easier for them to get the paint in the repaired areas to match the rest of the car).

So I'm wondering what a reasonable cost would be for welding on two new rockerpanels, cleaning up the wheel-wells and the bottoms of the doors (possibly adding sheetmetal to the bottom of one door). I was given a rough estimate by a local Maaco shop for $1k, but I'm not sure if that's a good price or not. What do you all think?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm also considering replacing the front bumper with an SVT version. I didn't mention this to the guy who gave me the quote from Maaco, how much extra do you guys think this would cost in labor?
Both 1/4's, rocker panels & skinning some doors is a few hrs of work & then scuff & shoot, can be done in 4-6 days. You'd be skinning the 1/4's= wrecking yard, drilling the spot welds out of 4 panels= 2 from the wrecking yard & yours & then mocking & fitting them up to your car, & then drilling & spot welding then. Same w/ the rocker panels. Figure $48.-$52. hr. Or 1/2 or less than service dept. rates. I'd say your looking at $3000. or so. Is this car worth dumping that much into? Hows the motor & transaxle? I'd pass on Maaco for body work pass a few dents or dings. If you want a slammer job no problem, it'd be quicker & easier= grind all the rust off & throw in some patch panels & mud it in & scuff & shoot. What ever you want it can be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts