Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cosworth header

ok I was really looking forward to buying my cosi header and flex today but some people are telling me my car is going to sound shit... is this true? (I have a 2006 ST) I really want a header because I guess they give a pretty good power increase but I don't want a ricey sounding car. If the header does make my car sound ricey then is there something I can do to make it sound normal. I have the focussport exhaust but I kept the CAT so if I do do the header I will still have 1 CAT.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
What I'd do is take the car over to an exhaust shop and get a custom 2.5" exhaust made up. Put the biggest resonator you can in the center tunnel and the biggest muffler you can on it. 2.25" really is too small of an exhaust to use with the cosworth header. The cosworth header has HUGE 1 and 7/8ths primaries and you are choking it with a 2.25"exhaust.

·
Registered
131 Posts
hey sharon, if you do a search on here for headers, there is a guy that has a sound clip of his and it sounds awesome, im buyin m,ine real soon

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is I already got the exhaust and I just put it on and only have had it for like a week. I am not going to get rid of an exhaust I just got. What can I do to make sure it isn't gonna sound like crap.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And if I do get the cosworth header will it trigger my CEL?

·
Registered
456 Posts
from the article that i read in focus fanatic magazine they said that they had no sensors go off after the install, remember these parts were made especialy for the duratec motor so if you are not totaly sure give them a call i called them about the same thing and they said that it is a sound like no other. good luck wiht your choice!

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
when they said it didnt throw a CEL, thats because it didnt throw it right away. it'll take time, and yes it'll probably through a CEL, b/c the header removes the CAT that the ECU monitors, so the CEL will be most likely saying that the cat isnt working correctly.

but if you get a SCT tuner, you can turn the rear O2 sensor off and never get a CEL, for the exhaust that is.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok because I am getting the intake manifold cams TB and the rest to finish the d-power kits from cosi... so I am getting the SCT XCAL2

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i wanted to go the d-power kits direction. but sinse i saw the dyno results of FS's turbo kit. all i want now is boost.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool. boost but boost AND cosi parts will be just fine with me .[:D]

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
I am pulling this out my ass, but I am assuming a cosworth header has gotta be 300 or 400 dollars. A tune has gotta be close to the same price right? How much do cams cost? You might want to consider buying cams instead. I have no idea how much these cost or how much horsepower you get, but cams usually do alot if I am correct. It's just something to look into, cuz the guy who talked about the header and the small exhaust may have a good point. I'm just throwing this out there in the open. By the way, when my friend did his header and down pipe, he did indeed get a CEL. All I think he did is rewire something. He told me he bought what is called an o2 simulator which tricks the computer into thinking it is working.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok I wanna do cams but don't you really need a header to do cams right because you are increasing air flow so you should have a header to help out the air flow even better.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
I don't knoow. All I know is really how they work, not what they need to work most effectively. Can't help you there. I'm writing a economics paper, so I am thinking of how you can maximise your utility (horsepower in this case) with the least amount of resources (cash flow). I figured that it would just be alot of money for a header/flash/possible new exhaust to maximise effeciency of one part, the header.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
damn I meant to hit edit, not quote. Excuse the double post.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder.... I am thinking throttle body and an SCT flasher.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
Don't do the flash now, on the ST, the flash is much better in later stages when you are more heavily modified. The throttle body will probably just give you a better throttle response and not increase horse power all that much. It's like a viscous circle we're in here.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and intake manifold of course... how does that sound?

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need the flash for the intake manifold.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
you know, if you hadn't just spent 375 on exhaust, I would suck it up and live with the sound and do header, cat delete, and exhaust. But since you spent all that money on exhaust last week, I personally would do cams and a bs delete. I heard intake manifolds are a bitch to install though. I don't know what to tell you. All I'm planning on doing to mine is probably, intake/exhaust/springs. I'm a supercharge a cobra and make that fast instead of the ST.

You know, I ought to stop stalking you and let other people reply to your inquiries. We always seem to be talking 1on1 lately. Besides, I should be writing this paper.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bet my ST with boost and the cosworth parts will whoop your stock Cobra. [:D]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts