Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice on this manifold that where the IAC goes the top hold vents to the TB and out to the atmosphere and the bottom hole goes nowhere.

Anyone that's installed one of these, how did you deal with this issue?

Also the IAC won't fit flush on the base but I can fix that with a file :)

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Drill out the hole that goes to nowhere (so that it matches the hole that is already drilled) and tap/plug the outer plug on the side (bottom picture) with a NPT plumbing fitting. Let me know if you need any more help. Also if you have the later p/s reservoir that interferes you do not have to notch the manifold. I know how to get around that issue as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that seemed like the logical solution but I figured someone would have done it already and I couldn't find anything about it on the forum.
Thanks again..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah you would need to drill the one hohole that goes nowhere into the manifold and plug the outer hole so it won't leak to atmosphere. It's very hard to find any kind of info on the install of this manifold. I've been planning on doing a write up on if for months I just haven't had the time to sit down and do it well I've been so busy I don't get on as much as I want. I helped yellowhatch with the mods to his manifold and I have plenty of pictures throughout the process if you have any questions.

Also don't even bother with the cover gasket that comes with it, it is complete junk. The best thing you could do would be to get some gasket making material and use the crap gasket to trace and make a new one, and go ahead and make 2 or 3. Then when you put the cover on put a thin layer of silicone on the cover and a thin layer on the seam on the manifold and sandwich your newly made gasket in between the silicone. The knock-off manifolds have a bad tendency of leaking around the cover. Try to use a oil/fuel resistant silicone.

Also go ahead and test fit your throttle body to the manifold and open the throttle plate so you can see how close of a port match it is, I haven't seen one yet that has the throttle body lined up perfectly. As long as it's not so far off that it interferes with the throttle plate then you could just leave it, but I prefer to try and match it as close as I can. And in the case of an aftermarket throttle body the hole is just plain too small and I recommend porting the manifold to match as close as you can.

Again if you have any questions feel free to ask

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you look at this picture you can see the inside post on the throttle body for attaching the cruise control to just misses the bolt on the IACV so there is not enough clearance to clip it back on

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes probably, It wasn't anything I was too concerned about at the moment as I use cruise control about once a year :) if a spacer falls into my lap i'll put it in or if I do an aftermarket TB I'll figure something out then, or I can try and modify the bracket to fit.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I know Cossie used to make a kit that allowed you to hook up the cruise control with the intake.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You need to countersink the IAC, then use a countersunk bolt so that it sits close to flush with the IAC.

I did that to my cossie and ran cruise control no problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Reading through the cossie install instructions it mentions something about a MAP, any idea what this is? I thought the motor only had a MAF

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Reading through the cossie install instructions it mentions something about a MAP, any idea what this is? I thought the motor only had a MAF
I believe these use both. You can find the MAP sensor on the front of the intake manifold

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Watch for this mother F%*$*%g issue I've been having since I installed it.
I'm not 100% sure if its the problem yet, but it seems to have been leaking past the butterfly.
if you look at the path of the rubber gasket you can see it goes across the small hole instead of around it!!

I'm making a gasket to find out if it is the problem, Sorry Tom !!!!!!!!!

I notice that there is a bit of wiggle room on the bolts hold it toward the top and tighten the bolts might also fix it but I don't know what that will do to the air path.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Watch for this mother F%*$*%g issue I've been having since I installed it.
I'm not 100% sure if its the problem yet, but it seems to have been leaking past the butterfly.
if you look at the path of the rubber gasket you can see it goes across the small hole instead of around it!!

I'm making a gasket to find out if it is the problem, Sorry Tom !!!!!!!!!

I notice that there is a bit of wiggle room on the bolts hold it toward the top and tighten the bolts might also fix it but I don't know what that will do to the air path.
I ran into that issue. I stuck a straw through the hole then filled the entire void with epoxy. Let it dry then sanded it even. Worked great.
EDIT: I also took the straw out. The epoxy doesn't stick to the straw.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
if you look at this picture you can see the inside post on the throttle body for attaching the cruise control to just misses the bolt on the IACV so there is not enough clearance to clip it back on
I ground the head of the bolt down a bit for it to clear.
I also added a couple washers under the throttle bracket so change the angle just enough to allow the cables to be routed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See that's the kind of thing that would have been good to post when you discovered it :)
Because the people that made your manifold, in an effort to make a profit, may have made more than 1 exactly the same way :)

I bet others on the forum have the problem too and haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I ground the head of the bolt down a bit for it to clear.
I also added a couple washers under the throttle bracket so change the angle just enough to allow the cables to be routed.
After reading this thread, I decided to check my throttle body and low and behold I am suffering the same issues as idobson. Leaking in the same area where the gasket crosses over the small orfice. What is the purpose of this hole? Is it necessary? Looks like I am going to have to do the same and seal off the hole with epoxy as well. Glad you discovered this issue, as I can address it as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts