Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Focus Mk1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've got myself a trolley jack and pair of stands so I can try to start doing some jobs on my Focus.

I was concentrating on things at the back at the moment but what's the right way to get the thing up in the air and support it?

On one side if I stick to the pinch welds I have a choice of either a welded piece or a bit left in a really cool state by garages and rust over the years. And it seems like the stand and jack would need to share the same area anyway.

I did try jacking where they tell you to put the factory scissor jack but yeah I think the weld's just going to bend.

Then I found this thread with great photos and it makes sense to me to lift it on the crossmember and put the stands under the suspension.

But then in other places around the internet and in my workshop manual I've seen things saying not to do it anywhere but on the correct parts of the sill.

Has anyone found any problems doing it like the thread says over the 17 years since it was posted?

I don't know why it should be too different to any other normal unibody car but I'm so worried about bending the thing. I'm new to this.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've seen things saying not to do it anywhere but on the correct parts of the sill
seems like the stand and jack would need to share the same area anyway
From a 2x4, I cut a small block of wood. Then I chiseled a groove in the block, deep enough to fit around the pinch weld. Now I can jack at any point without bending it. That leaves room to place the jack stand at the strongest point.

·
Registered
'99 Focus Mk1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that's really good.

I think for now I'll just try a block of wood to go around the pinch weld, I guess I'll cut it to lift on the flat structure just behind because that's where the factory jack looks like it puts the weight. In at least one place the weld's been damaged so much in the past, I can't even get the factory jack past it very well. Nice.

Hadn't seen those magnetic adapters (only the rubber ones) so that's interesting to look into too.

Once I get a look I'll check out using the rear crossmember like in that post, my jack also has quite a small saddle so I need to check how it sits on it too.

I would use the points indicated in the post you linked. The sills rot on these cars.
Oh boy, don't I know it. 😕

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for posting. Some good tips.

I once had a 2001 Ford Windstar. I purchased it when it had only 26,000 miles on it and it lasted until 200,000 miles. Towards the end of its life I got a flat tire and without really thinking about it jacked it up the regular way at the jack points to put on the spare and drive home. While it was jacked up and as I was man handling the compact spare, the jack punched through the unseen-to-me body rot and the van slowly sank back to the ground. I had to call for a tow.

Jim Mc

·
Registered
'99 Focus Mk1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for posting. Some good tips.

I once had a 2001 Ford Windstar. I purchased it when it had only 26,000 miles on it and it lasted until 200,000 miles. Towards the end of its life I got a flat tire and without really thinking about it jacked it up the regular way at the jack points to put on the spare and drive home. While it was jacked up and as I was man handling the compact spare, the jack punched through the unseen-to-me body rot and the van slowly sank back to the ground. I had to call for a tow.

Jim Mc
Yikes. Glad that's all you were doing when it sank down. My Focus has a bad problem with rust at 100,000 miles and that's partly why I'm needing to look at. I've already had one of the sills welded in a couple of places 😬

1 - 9 of 9 Posts