Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My low psi light just came on but the tires look fine? Can someone tell me what the best psi is for daily use with the 18' sport wheels pictured below? Thanks & have a great day!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408971757.624408.jpg

·
Registered
611 Posts
Looks can be deceiving with radial tires, they may not look low even if they are. There should be a sticker on one of the door sills that lists the correct tire pressure and should also be listed in the owners manual. While I can't say what the 18" tires use, on the 14-15" tires the recommended inflation value is 32PSI but the 18" will probably be different.

·
Registered
580 Posts
yep, handling package 18's get 39psi according to my sticker.

i remember one of my snow tires was down to 29psi and it alerted - not such a big deal for a (16" wheel/tire) that lost a couple pounds, but that 235/40-18 dropping from 39 to 29 would be more significant.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Use a good pressure gauge to check it!!! I can't express this enough

I used to use a $6 Slime dial gauge that I bought at AutoZone 3 years ago. A few weeks ago my wife's Elantra felt really harsh after I put 36 lbs in the tires. On a whim I went on Amazon and got a good calibrated dial gauge... turns out that the $6 gauge was reading 15 PSI LOW! There was over 50 PSI in each of the tires.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Use a good pressure gauge to check it!!! I can't express this enough

I used to use a $6 Slime dial gauge that I bought at AutoZone 3 years ago. A few weeks ago my wife's Elantra felt really harsh after I put 36 lbs in the tires. On a whim I went on Amazon and got a good calibrated dial gauge... turns out that the $6 gauge was reading 15 PSI LOW! There was over 50 PSI in each of the tires.
^^^^^^ +1 +5 +100000000 I couldn't agree with this more. In fact the best tire gauge I ever bought was a digital one from radio shack over a decade ago and to this day it spot on. A good tire gauge is worth its weight in gold, almost.

When I fill tires the air chuck I use has a built in dial gauge, is a HF piece http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-chuck-tire-inflator-with-dial-gauge-68271.html so I wasn't expecting accuracy to the closest 100th of a psi but I found it to read 4 PSI low so when I fill tires I just put it to sticker PSI +4 and verify it with the RS one, possibly the best $10 I have spent at harbor freight. I later purchased one of their pistol grip tire inflators with gauge and that was probably the worst purchase from HF I have ever had the clip on chuck didn't stay on the valve stem and the gauge was wildly inaccurate, buyer beware.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts