Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I had posted a thread a few months ago asking about why sometimes when I take the key out of my '09 the dinging noise continues to go on as if my key were still in the ignition. A bunch of you replied and said it was a sticky ignition.

I've found a replacement ignition lock cylinder from Motorcraft that appears to be improved and I wanted to get some insight from those of you that have had this issue. Have any of you replaced the lock cylinder with the Motorcraft SW6285 part? If so, did it resolve your issue? The only reviews I can find say it fixed the issue in their pre-07 and I have never seen any mention of someone trying it to fix their sticky ignition in their '08+. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SW6285-Ignition-Switch-Cylinder/dp/B000IYIUI2

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had my ignition switch replaced because the car sometimes would not crank when I turn the key. I discovered the pushing the key into the cylinder as I turned would make it work.

So the dealer replaced it for me, and now its doing what you're complaining about. Now when I pull the key out it will still chime. All I do is just put the key back in and pull out and it stops. I'm not sure if changing your switch will fix your problem, because my brand new replacement switch is doing what you're complaining about.

Seems like the the ignition switches on these cars are a little wonky. It would be worse though!! (GM ignitions)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my ignition switch replaced because the car sometimes would not crank when I turn the key. I discovered the pushing the key into the cylinder as I turned would make it work.

So the dealer replaced it for me, and now its doing what you're complaining about. Now when I pull the key out it will still chime. All I do is just put the key back in and pull out and it stops. I'm not sure if changing your switch will fix your problem, because my brand new replacement switch is doing what you're complaining about.

Seems like the the ignition switches on these cars are a little wonky. It would be worse though!! (GM ignitions)
I appreciate the info on your situation. I'm beginning to wonder if taking my lock cylinder out myself might give me a bit more insight into the potential problem. I'll update this thread once I have a chance to take it out.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I tried to fix mine with dry lubercant with no success. My key just won't go in unless I slam it in. It's only that little door that sticks on mine.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The part that dings on mine gets confused. I have found that by pushing in on the cylinder really quick with no key, it frees itself up.

I tried to fix mine with dry lubercant with no success. My key just won't go in unless I slam it in. It's only that little door that sticks on mine.
I had that happen on mine once! I was on a job interview on my lunch break. Would have made it back in time, too, had the key gone in! I ended up using a paper clip or pencil or something to push the flap/door in so I could get the key to go in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the only time I've seen someone post this! This was happening with mine. Yesterday I bought some dry (graphite) lubricant and put it on. Seems to have made a difference this morning. I'm going to lube it daily this week and see if the issue pops up again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts