Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Muffler shop removed and replaced my manicat and gasket to solve an exhaust leak but then created a P0411 code CEL.
After a few expensive parts and poor advice from other automotive "experts" I figured it had to be something simple. They installed a non. PZEV gasket. The pix are the correct one from Ford. $30. It allows the fresh air from the secondary air injection system to enter the exhaust ports. Note the passages from the square punched holes to the circular punched holes.

Now to see if I can get compensated by the muffler shop who incorrectly installed the wrong part....

Attachments

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
You gotta be kiddin'....................

You think they'd look at the part they just pulled off. I know if seeing those slots I'd be questioning things in a heartbeat. Not normal exhaust gasket construction at all there.

Thanks for that, and luck with the restitution there.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
It's just a gasket, right?

They're all the same....

Not this time!

Nice heads up, luck with the reimbursement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope these pix help someone else. One mechanic was telling me I had the wrong head on the engine and needed to drill holes into it to get the air to the exhaust ports.

To bad I had already dumped $180 for a factory check valve suggested by the smog shop. Don't think i'll have much luck recoup'n that mistake.

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
Hey nothing surprises me any more, the mechs out there now are.....well.....out there. And they ain't coming back. You gotta remember, they were graduated from high school because they couldn't read. Common practice here now. The teachers simply do not want to see them again.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Fordparts.com lists the part number to be Callout # 9448 Part # 6S4Z-9448-AA Part Description: 2.0L Duratec HE (137PS) Partial Zero Emission Vehicle Evaporative Emission for about $29. http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=52ICF86n6EuUHJRND4g3gw%3d%3d&id=278197480&m=2&search=true&year=2006&make=Ford&model=Focus .

RockAuto lists FEL-PRO Part # MS96663 as being the one for California aka PZEV cars for about $14-18.

Got to love these PZEV vehicles whole bunch of extra stuff to go wrong, I just had to order the air pump valve because mine was stuck partially closed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks for posting this thread. I replaced OEM catalytic converter with after-market, and the mechanic just grabbed the third-party gasket and used that. Wrong move, as I learned from your post. Got P0411 (Secondary Air Flow incorrect). Pulled third-party gasket, installed Ford OEM gasket - all clear now. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts