Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my wifes upper rad hose broke. She said it exploded, she was driving and when she parked she herd a lound bang and seen coolant underneath her car. I replaced that along with a new T-stat. I looked up on the ford website how to fill it and it said to fill threw the heater core hose, i tried and it wouldnt work, it only took in about 1/4 of the jug. So I called up to work and they said just fill the overflow and let the car run, i did that and still it is like it will only fill the radiator. Even at operating temp both upper and lower rad hoses are cold to midly warm, which is probly just from engine heat. that led me to believe there is no coolant circulation. I boiled the T-stat and it opens so i know that thats not the problem. Do i have the rare case wear the w.pump impeller is disinigrated? im really lost on this one.

1.the heat does not work but it did work befor the radiator hose blew
2.The a/c does not work there is a slow leak and i just refill it and it works fine
3.when the a/c system is empty of freon the cooling fan will not come on when the engine is at high temp(dont know if this is supposed to happen)
4.i had to replace the cooling fan resistor & conector which was fried

·
Registered
505 Posts
Either the water pump is shot or you're not letting it warm up all the way. The focus has a self bleeding cooling system. Just massage the upper hose, see if you hear something like bubbles in it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It doesn't take a lot of fluid to refill the system, even when you drain it through the radiator drain, (from experience, I was surprised at how little it took) so top up the bottle, drive it a bit & refill as needed - it should be OK then...

Luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try to lift the front end like on the curbe so the radiator will be higher than the rest of the car, then drain the system, then try to fill it up a bit by bit and when the reservoir is full start massaging the upper and lower radiator hoses to start the circulation, you should feel bubles of air coming through, refill as much as needed. Start the car, let it work for very little time like 30-45 sec, the turn it off, it should push out the remaining air in the system, the refill again and you should be good, you definetky have some air in the system... Good Luck.

(I would say there is another way of taking the air out of the system but is more dangerous and i would nog suggest it!!! I did it on a mazda6 and cadillac CTS - basically i had a similar problem as yours - after i drained the system on both cars it did not want to take the same amount of coolant back in the system so that started to get on my nerves [rant] so what i did is let the car warm up - not too much though cuz it will create too big pressure - then I turned it off and with a very thick wrag opened very slow the reservoir cap - and the air started to come out then refilled as needed. Repeated a couple of times and it was good. And still remained a mistery for me why did this happened [dunno] . Again I would not suggest this to be done this way!!!! If you do it is on your own!!!) Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, ons give it another go tomorrow. Hopefully I get all the air out. BTW, when I filled it i let it get to operating temp and was squezing the houses for a good 5 min and very few bubbles came out. The overflow might of dropped a centimeter if any. And like I said the engine was hot but none of the hoses were, I even drovearound the block a couple times and the hoses were still cold, and overflow was at the same level. The weird thing is that it didnt overheat. Who would've thought filling coolant would be so hard

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
I'm guessing this is on a Zetec DOHC? With how many miles?

There are only so many things it could be with over heating problems.

1. the resistor is a famous one.
2. water pump.
3. thermostat.
4. radiator itself.
5. wiring leading to resistor near the header.

Is this a over heating problem or......?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no the upper rad hose blew, which i replaced along with the tstat. I also replaced the fan resistor and the conector for it. the fan only works when the A/C is full of freon. The main problem is i cannot get the cooling system full of coolant.

Does anybody know which heater hose is the supply line? the line that goes from the core to the Tstat housing or the hose that goes to the bottom rad house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts