Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you say search.... i did... my problems different than others

Ok.. FIRST TIME OVER HEATER
After I got back to work I noticed that my temp gauge said the car was over heated. I just got done doing some stop and go traffic.
I popped the hood and noticed the fans were not running at all. I shut the car down and then turned the key forward; still no fans. I started it back up and turned on the A/C and the "passenger" side fan kicked on but not the drivers side.
It appeared that my under the hood relay box was not set up correctly according to the owners manual.
The manual said the following and my box was not set-up that way and it did not have the metal terminals [:(!]
IIRC!!
Actual blade fuses
Spot 2- cooling fan- not there
Spot 3- cooling fan- not there
Spot 4- air pump?
sport 5- 50 amp fan fuse (was there)

Now my questions are as follows:

Could the actual powerbox relays be bad?
Why would the fans not run at all when the Temp gauge said that it was hot?
Why would only ONE turn on with the a/c?
Why would my box be setup like that and not like the manual and not even have the connections?
Why would not overheat just sitting there for 15 minutes?
Just a random overheat?

Some facts about the car and the situation
Outside air temp 88-90*
Not running the a/c cause of a EGR leak- working on a solution[facepalm]
Never had overheated sense Ive own the car
Never has overheated in a drive through or during a 20 minute idle
T-stat replaced last year
Water pump has not been replaced to my knoweledge

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
one fan is a high fan the other is a low. They will cycle on and off and between the two. Also one cools the condensor for the A/C so when the A/C is on it will also pull air threw and cooler the radiator.

Now with the A/C on did it still over heat?
Are you Sure your reading the diagram right? I highly doubt someone moved terminals.
Need to get a DVOM (Digital Volt, Ohm Meter) You have some Electrical testing ahead of you to do.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can not say for a fact that I am reading it correctly but I think I am.

to answer your question about the overheating with the A/C... I dont know because, I really dont want to run it due to the EGR leak. Yesterday, it didnt over heat at all and the a/c wasnt on...

I understand the whole cycle process but why wouldnt they run when it was HOT?

EDITED first post

·
Captain TMI
21,227 Posts
Do you have a Zetec or Duratec? Fusing and fan relays are different for some reason. I knew it was on my 05 because both my fans have a high and low speed. The PZEV looks different.

Did you try just putting some 30a fuses in slot 2 and 3?

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
fhh02a said:
focus

thanks for the reply.

I dont know if the car would over heat without the A/C being on. It didnt do that yesterday at all..

I went and checked the box again and i have blade fuses that are missing.

could the relays be bad???

Yes but you need a DVOM to test them.

Or find the coil side of the Relay and with a couple jumper wires run batt 12v to the relay it should click on and off as you touch them, and watch your DVOM while set to Ohms you should see 0 ohms when it clicks on.

or

find another relay in the box that has the same pins that you know works, swap them if the fans kick on you know its a bad relay make sure car is at operating temps.

No CEL?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep.. NO CEL

and I guess I swtich the relays around and see

i just dont want her over heating again...

hopefully the relays are dead.. can they just quit working all of a sudden?

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
yep.. NO CEL

and I guess I swtich the relays around and see

i just dont want her over heating again...

hopefully the relays are dead.. can they just quit working all of a sudden?
Sure just like an ignition coil, its a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field. That could can eventually burn up leaving an open.

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
Did you check the sensor at the top of the radiator? It's most common point of failure in instances like this. Pull the plug and look at it, are the prongs or socket burnt? If so replace the pigtail and sensor and your fans will work again to keep it cool.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Did you check the sensor at the top of the radiator? It's most common point of failure in instances like this. Pull the plug and look at it, are the prongs or socket burnt? If so replace the pigtail and sensor and your fans will work again to keep it cool.
What sensor is this? Fans use EGT sensor which is located by the thermostat to my understanding.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he is talking about the resistor?

btw: it didnt over heat at all on the way home tonight

maybe the T-stat might be sticking and the fan are also not working....
I dont know what it might be..

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
Yes I'm talking about the resistor, that is what tells the fans to come on. They are also known to burn up, causing the fans to not come on when needed. They will work with the a/c though, that's because the a/c can control the fans also, but only for a/c functions. The fact that the fans work with the a/c means that the fans are fine it's the resistor most likely.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok...I will check the resistor and let yall know tomorrow

thanks for the point in the right directions

REP will be given

·
Captain TMI
21,227 Posts
I almost bet money on it, that that's it.
Yes, that's usually what it is, but since you said you didn't have fuses in slot 2 and 3, but the owner's manual calls for fuses there, then I thought it might be something different. If you'd had a Dtec, I'd thought it was something different, but Zetecs are the ones with the issues with the fan connector and the fan resistor. It's likely that you will need both.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yesterday I replaced the resistor with a FORD part... no parts store had it except for a ford dealer . I also will have to buy the wire leads from Ford cause noone has the exact one.

To install the new resistor:
Unplug all connections around the fan housing (there will be a wire right under the powersteering which will be hard to get off/on)
unclip the fans and drop to the ground
unscrew the bolt holding the resistor in

then reinstall the fans

I will update with Part numbers and the results

·
Registered
369 Posts
I will be interested to hear if replacing the resistor will work. My father in-law has the same issue with his 02 zetec (fans don't cycle normally and only stay on when A/C is on)

·
Registered
369 Posts
He's got 240k on it and wants 300k.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The fan motor on the driver side could have craped out on you. to test it unplug the connection on that fan and hook up a battery to it with wires. If it doesnt come on then the fan is dead. I am having the same problem and did the test on mine and the driver side did not come on. double checked our test on the passenger side fan it came on. so i have to replace the fan assembly.

P.S. Im missing the same fuses on mine and that it was weird

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well I can tell you the driver side fan came on WITH THE A/C but not on its own.. so I am waiting on the plug from ford

and i will let you know what happens

1 - 20 of 32 Posts