Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2004 2.0l sohc. Both auxiliary fans/cooling fans aren't kicking on. Looked at the resistor that is mounted in between them and the pigtail side is burnt/shot. Can't get a good look at the resistor itself and it seems like it's mounted from the inside of the fan assembly because I don't see any clips or retainers on the visible side. Quickly looked through YouTube and they're resistors are simply held in with 4 obvious clips. Do I have to remove the dual fan assembly to get to it? Anybody run into this? Apologies if this has been addressed. Did a search and didn't see anything addressing it specifically.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very common problem and you do not have to remove the fan assembly to get at the resistor. I have a 2003 ZX3 and did the repair without removing anything except the blown resistor. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
Ford has made more than one connection and attachment point there, some do have to yank the fan assembly. Depends on the resistor configuration.

Fans come out easier than you think but through the bottom not top. Somebody knowing how can pull out and reinstall the assembly in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm nearly certain this resistor isn't coming out the front side. Simply nothing there to remove. No tabs, nothing. AMC- I quickly yanked off the assembly because it's just held in with tabs but didn't want to go through the trouble of disconnecting all the peripheral wiring. But I guess I'll do that tomorrow and I'll bet I find two little hex nut bolts/screws holding it in from behind. Odd to me that everyone else seems to just have 4 tabs holding in the resistor. Once I figure it out I'll post so the next guy can quickly solve the issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Woops! I have a different engine than yours--I have the DOHC. Sorry, I didn't read your post as carefully as I should have...They obviously stuck a different fan assembly in there for your motor.

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
I think it is more along the lines of different vendors making the parts the way they want. Ford allows a certain bit of changeup in the basic design blueprints if it does not materially change the part. Half the time it's just to keep the engineers gainfully employed while they figure out new ways to screw us.

Take that resistor. In all other places the cooling electrics plug in the plug-in terminal size is much bigger than right at the resistor block itself. The jack-ss over that design was asleep at the wheel. The connector is too small in cross-sectional area to pass the power that goes through it, it then melts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts