Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '14 Titanium that is losing coolant at a slow rate. No smell, no puddle. I've already had the tank filled once at a dealership when it got below the MIN line. They said they didn't see a leak. Fast forward 2 months and it's below the line again. I've checked before and after the engine has cooled down. Taking it in Saturday to a different dealer, so I'll let you know the results. 24k miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update: They kept the Focus over the weekend, as they said they'd pressurize it and see if it leaked once they come in Monday. The dealership gave me a loaner without even asking. It's a '15 Focus SE, and the coolant reservoir in it is nearly empty!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Update: They kept the Focus over the weekend, as they said they'd pressurize it and see if it leaked once they come in Monday. The dealership gave me a loaner without even asking. It's a '15 Focus SE, and the coolant reservoiron it is nearly empty!
Thanks for the update, BassMasterCHS.

What’s the estimated mileage on your vehicle, and is it still at the dealer?

Tricia

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the update, BassMasterCHS.

What’s the estimated mileage on your vehicle, and is it still at the dealer?

Tricia
Hey Tricia,

It is at the dealership, and will be till at least this Friday. They found a leak coming from the timing cover area. I asked if it was the water pump, he said yes. I'm not familiar with the layout of these engines, as I've only worked on my Jeep's inline 6 4.0, but it seems odd the water pump would be under the timing cover. I have 24k miles on my Ford Focus, and 18k miles on the 2015 Focus rental.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Hey Tricia,

It is at the dealership, and will be till at least this Friday. They found a leak coming from the timing cover area. I asked if it was the water pump, he said yes. I'm not familiar with the layout of these engines, as I've only worked on my Jeep's inline 6 4.0, but it seems odd the water pump would be under the timing cover. I have 24k miles on my Ford Focus, and 18k miles on the 2015 Focus rental.

The 2.0L ti-VCT is timing chain, no belts and the water pump is "accessible" and not under any cover.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Timing belt cover (from dealer technician)??... this engine has a timing chain (hence no timing cover) and the water pump is not under any cover.

And the plot thickens...thats exactly what he said. Hmmm.

One thing: my jeep had a timing chain, and had a timing cover. I'm going to have to look at some diagrams of this engine.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
And the plot thickens...thats exactly what he said. Hmmm.

One thing: my jeep had a timing chain, and had a timing cover. I'm going to have to look at some diagrams of this engine.
Woaaaa my bad misread timing belt but you never said that :p

Yes there is a timing chain cover on the engine.

Sometimes my english plays tricks on me [grinking]

If you want to see a naked duratec (not Ti-VCT) ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqwnDmDkZrQ

or the real deal (ti-vct)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woaaaa my bad misread timing belt but you never said that :p

Yes there is a timing chain cover on the engine.

Sometimes my english plays tricks on me [grinking]

If you want to see a naked duratec (not Ti-VCT) ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqwnDmDkZrQ

or the real deal (ti-vct)

I appreciate the picture and link! One question: why plastic intake manifolds?!

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
"Timing cover area" likely was a way to identify the general section of the engine, not a comment on where the coolant was actually leaking.

Water pump can fail to spray some coolant around there, doesn't mean it's coming out of the cover.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey Tricia,

Thanks for following up. Please send us a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer info.

Meagan

C

·
0 Posts
hope you don't have a issue like my 2013 escape with the 1.6 ecoboost. after 3 or 4 major recalls 30 days in the dealer ,it still kept loosing fluid till ford had the dealer pull the plugs, did a pressure test over night and with a bore scope found antifreeze on the piston tops . we wound up with a service engine long block kit
got it back with no more problems but turned it in for a 15 with the 2.0 engine that had a made in Germany sticker on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good grief, that sucks. They did confirm they found a leak. If they hadn't, that would of been my next guess. Has anyone else had the water pump go bad?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
got it back with no more problems but turned it in for a 15 with the 2.0 engine that had a made in Germany sticker on it.
charlie g,

Thanks for sharing the great news, and I’m glad to learn that your concern was resolved.

Enjoy your 2015, and I’ll be here if you need me! [hihi]

Good grief, that sucks. They did confirm they found a leak. If they hadn't, that would of been my next guess. Has anyone else had the water pump go bad?
BassMasterCHS,

I replied to your PM. Please check your inbox when you get a chance.

Let me know if you need anything else! [:)]

Tricia

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update: I got another call from the man over seeing my Focus, and I asked him to clarify what leaked. He said it was the timing cover, which, coming from a Jeep, made me scratch my head. He said the coolant is routed through the cover to the water pump.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Just an update: I got another call from the man over seeing my Focus, and I asked him to clarify what leaked. He said it was the timing cover, which, coming from a Jeep, made me scratch my head. He said the coolant is routed through the cover to the water pump.
BassMasterCHS,

Thanks for the update, and I’ll add this information to your case notes.

If you need anything, just give me a shout! [:)]

Tricia

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BassMasterCHS,

Thanks for the update, and I’ll add this information to your case notes.

If you need anything, just give me a shout! [:)]

Tricia

You've got it! Thanks again! Bartow Ford is on the ball as far as communication and making sure I'm satisfied. I mean, how many dealerships give a free rental without even asking for one?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
You've got it! Thanks again! Bartow Ford is on the ball as far as communication and making sure I'm satisfied. I mean, how many dealerships give a free rental without even asking for one?
You’re very welcome, BassMasterCHS.

I’m glad to learn that your dealer is taking good care of you![thumb] I’ll make sure to note that in your case as well.

Have a great weekend! [cool]

Tricia

1 - 20 of 27 Posts