Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon powering the car the temp guage will immediately lift to the middle line and will sit at that point from start to stop.. Varying Temps, varying conditions. Is this some sort of known issue or should I be concerned? The car runs/functions flawlessly otherwise. 2014 Ti hatch.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Upon powering the car the temp guage will immediately lift to the middle line and will sit at that point from start to stop.. Varying Temps, varying conditions. Is this some sort of known issue or should I be concerned? The car runs/functions flawlessly otherwise. 2014 Ti hatch.
I believe the gauge shows "full temp" at approximately 100 degrees and up Fahrenheit, so if your car has been sitting outside in the heat, it's possible it retains quite a bit of ambient temp in the coolant.

I know some have complained that it's more a binary gauge, but maybe the engine is fully functional (i.e. closed loop, economy, lubrication) at about 100°.

·
Registered
11 Posts

It's not an analog gauge in a traditional sense. It only has 3 states. Cold, OK and Too Hot based on pre-set temperature limits.

·
Registered
650 Posts
This is has been addressed many times and though we consider the gauges "idiot gauges" since by the time your in trouble it is too late. The gauge operates fine. smack in the middle is perfect. I used my ultraguage and it seems it is the average for that area. The car does heat up fast and is the fastest I ever seen. I go 3-4 blocks and bam its in the middle.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It's not an analog gauge in a traditional sense. It only has 3 states. Cold, OK and Too Hot based on pre-set temperature limits.
That's interesting. I can see mine sweep continuously from cold to temp. It doesn't stay long at any temp, but nevertheless, it doesn't jump to 1 of 3 distinct settings.

Oops, I should have said 1 of 2 settings -- discounting Too Hot (overtemp / warning / etc.). I've seen mine at 1/2 scale before. And stay there for a minute or so.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
It's not not like the gauge only has cold, warm and hot and that the dial immediately clicks between the 3 states. It has a predefined correlation that plateaus at a certain point. For the normal consumer, this isn't particularly important.*

*Except situations like last winter when it was -40*F and I wanted warm/hot air and and the car was definitely not "warm".

CSVT2060 wrote some numbers for us that I haven't checked to be accurate or inaccurate:
Watching it with my scangauge, it starts rising when the actual engine temp hits 100 degrees and is in the middle "normal" range by 130 degrees. Not enough to get heat out of the vents at that point. It stays in the middle position all the way to 218 degrees. My car has not been over 218 degrees so I don't know what temperature it starts heading toward the hot mark.
Back to the OP...
Upon powering the car the temp guage will immediately lift to the middle line and will sit at that point from start to stop.. Varying Temps, varying conditions. Is this some sort of known issue or should I be concerned?
The gauge operates fine. smack in the middle is perfect.
If he's saying he starts the car on a morning like today and it immediately jumps to the middle of the temperature gauge, there's definitely something wrong.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PratoN hit it, thr car sits inside a cement floored shop every night. I leave for work around 2am and the guage will immediately raise to the center position. 33 mile drive one way, neverleaves the middle line. This morning it was 54° ambient. Car has seen 90+° and as low as 46°.

Perhaps this may be a normsl function and I'm just accustomed to traditional analog sweeps? Idk yet.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
PratoN hit it, thr car sits inside a cement floored shop every night. I leave for work around 2am and the guage will immediately raise to the center position. 33 mile drive one way, neverleaves the middle line. This morning it was 54° ambient. Car has seen 90+° and as low as 46°.

Perhaps this may be a normsl function and I'm just accustomed to traditional analog sweeps? Idk yet.
Prato is correct. In this instance it should be at "0" and take a bit (1-2 minutes perhaps 3-4) to reach "operating temperature / normal gauge".

Something is wrong if starting at 54 ambient and jumping to operating temp.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Get it to the dealer - something is wrong here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine has sat for 4 hours without being run, but immediately jumped to normal at startup. It was maybe a 75* day. And on a chilly morning this week, I found out that it is not blowing warm air as soon as it reads "normal". Why couldn't they have installed a regular, analog gauge, so we know what is going on with our cars? If mine (with an analog gauge) gets halfway between normal and hot, I'm stopping to figure out what the hell is wrong!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try and call to make an appointment tomorrow after work. Frankly I believe it's a malfunction in the gauge or its programming because the car doesn't run hot, no smells, pinging, ticking post run. It performs better than I ever dreamed honestly, currently avg'ing 45 mpg @ 55 (cruise on).

Anyway, I'll update as I know more. Thanks all.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
There is more than likely nothing physically wrong with the car or electrically wrong either. It's just the way the gauge is programmed is to head towards the middle quickly when running normally unless it's very very cold.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine same. Think it's normal. It does warm up real fast and I like that.
Oops sorry. Read wrong. Mine starts all the way cold. It just centers within a minute of running and its already blowing warm air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts