Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the drain plug is for the engine block? I usually hook up my water temp gauge to these and I don't want to spend all day looking for it if there is one and where it might be. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
If you're going to hook up a gauge, you have to cut the upper radiator hose and put in the fitting for the temp gauge. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a plug in the head for the coolant. You can private message HONHON...he has the part number you need.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cut the radiator hose? I have never done anything like that before. I have installed this same type gauge before and I usually go off the engine blocks drain plug for the coolant. I am definitaly not cutting any hoses. Plus the fitting is a threaded brass piece.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
what you need is this:

autometer # 2282, its a radiator hose adapter... the drain plug for the coolant on the duratec is plastic and built into the radiator..

all of the big names use this type of adapter for their senders... its the easiest and quickest way to do it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Can't u just replace the existing CTS??

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
then the PCM will freak out and throw a CEL.

and on the duratec motor... the temp sender is actually the cylinder head temp sensor, that extends down into the block area.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my 1999 Mustang GT and 2005 Mustang GT they both have a plug that is a coolant drain on the drivers side of the block. They also had drains on the radiator too. The Duratec's don't have a block drain? I will be searching high and low tomorrow for it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i had taken honhons advice and got the autometer adapter and it works great. Cuting the hose was pretty simple, its right there at the block, so its pretty accurate.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I know the dura's have a radiator drain plug, but i'm not too sure if they have a engine block drain either, it should though. Let us know what u find!

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
You have to remember, even tho the engines work the same. Your dealing with different engines. Thus different designs. It would be by far just to get that kit. Autozone had it when I wen't in to get my temp gauge for my truck, but I didn't need it seeing as it wen't on the block.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any way to get a tee fitting to work for the cars coolant temp sensor and the autometer sensor? or will that cause a problem? I don't see why it would.... It's just a matter of having enough space i guess.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
cut the radiator hose? I have never done anything like that before. I have installed this same type gauge before and I usually go off the engine blocks drain plug for the coolant. I am definitaly not cutting any hoses. Plus the fitting is a threaded brass piece. .
Yeah, all engines aren't the same. On my 350, I used the hole in the head for my gauge. The duratec just isn't the same.

Let us know what you find. Thanks for chiming in HONHON.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
any way to get a tee fitting to work for the cars coolant temp sensor and the autometer sensor? or will that cause a problem? I don't see why it would.... It's just a matter of having enough space i guess.
how the PCM read's the coolant temp is via the cylinder head temp sensor, its long and extends down into the block, so basically its reading from the block to the head... hense the reason it doesnt move the needle much.

so, you cant really T-off the sensor... i gurantee the hose adapter is your best bet... sine you are really trying to measure the temperature of the coolant, its a better reading also, because if you T-off something thats attached to the block, you'll be reading the temp mainly of the metal. around it and the coolant that heats it up.

heres a picture of the sensor from an ebay auction:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts