Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I buy pre-mix because that's all I need. I probably put two cups in my focus in 10 years.
Any pre-mix I have ever bought has tested just fine.
I however would not buy a premix if I was changing the coolant on a large system.

If coolant was not so hard to properly dispose of responsibly I would be more inclined to change it on my vehicles, but I don't unless I need to drain the system system for a repair which never happens.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That assumes of course that the mix was correct to begin with. Some people in a hurry add straight water for a low coolant level say in summer and never come back and adjust it correctly, making that a risk. If you begin to overheat and find it low do you drive it beginning to overheat to find proper coolant? No, you put the first water in car you can find, it can save your engine. Why the below is the way to go for me too.....

'Buying full-strength antifreeze is, IMHO, the only way to go.'

Check your coolant in bottle with a freeze protection % tool, you will sometimes get a surprise, and almost always it will be too much water in pre-mix.

You are also paying them $5 or close a pre-mix bottle to simply mix water with it, WAY too high. Throwiing away money. Save a bottle and then split the straight equal in the two and add water. $10 or close for 5 minutes work, that's $120/hr. paid work. You can always give it to them of course, I won't. I usually use the one gallon right then and save the other for adding during the year to any of 3 cars.

To OP...........normal engine temps are from 200-230 degrees usually, they are considered overheating and in engine damage territory at the 265 degree F number.

Sorry we overwhelmed you there but lack of attention to detail can kill you there. Why the threads often meander around, too many people want to help but no longer than for a few seconds, it may take longer than that to save mistakes.
My mom did always say buy the full strength. The pre mixed was a waste of money. Then I did see the prices so I have to agree. I’m grateful for everyone putting in there opinions to try and help me. Very helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
I buy straight as well because it allows me to jet the coolant a bit hot when I want.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Most cars have a coolant drain plug. Unscrew to loosen. May not come out all the way but it should be far enough to let the coolant drain. Also take the cap off the reservoir to give it air. When fully drained there's still a quart or more you can't get out. So factor that into your mixing calculations.

Capture the old coolant into a drain pan. The big fancy ones can be expensive but my local store had a simple one for about $3. You're not supposed to dump the old coolant. The ethylene glycol kind is sweet but toxic to small animals. Hopefully someplace near you recycles it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with AMC.

But I wonder about the PH levels of different coolants, in which all aluminum engines seem to make the coolant very acidic and break down the aluminum faster.

As for orange, If I had a cast iron block, I wouldn't run orange because you can't see the rust.

Reactions: masinagirl

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, once my good friend advised me to choose the same cooler.
He from motor trader explained a lot to me, but I understood the most important thing, if you take the coolant, take the same color and with a reserve. So everyone says that there is no difference... you need to take the same color but no! And if you're wrong! Or take from different companies or something else, then it will not cost you cheap to repair the cooling system.
My advice is to change the coolant and all, do not hesitate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I currently have orange coolant in my reservoir so I was wondering if it’s safe to use the oreillys universal coolant to top it off or will I cause damage?
Current color orange and the universal is yellow/goldish color.
I might be a bit late with the answer/ what year is your focus i know the 2005 takes the gold and nothing else
using the wrong coolant in a ford can cause damage to your system. Stick with the Ford coolant $20 at ford for the conc. one
mix 50/50 cheaper then the pre mix

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I currently have orange coolant in my reservoir so I was wondering if it’s safe to use the oreillys universal coolant to top it off or will I cause damage?
Current color orange and the universal is yellow/goldish color.
one more thing make sure you use distilled water not tap water

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is a 2014. How did you know what yours takes exactly? But thanks for the tip!
should check in owners Manual for the correct part number fords take a specific coolant based on the year of the car this is due to the materials used to manufacture the parts for the cooling system using the wrong coolant will damage the system if you do not have the manual call the dealer

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
should check in owners Manual for the correct part number fords take a specific coolant based on the year of the car this is due to the materials used to manufacture the parts for the cooling system using the wrong coolant will damage the system if you do not have the manual call the dealer
Mine says a certain motorcraft coolant. VC-3DIL-B.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
Mine says a certain motorcraft coolant. VC-3DIL-B.
VC-3DIL-B is the diluted 50/50 version (the DIL in the P/N gives it away), and I don't recommend buying it. Full-strength Motorcraft is VC3B and is orange, but there are other compatible brands.

According to your owner manual (https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/), the total capacity of your cooling system is 6.8QT, so 1/2 would be 3.5QT (rounded off) and would yield a mixture of 51.4%. If you wanted to put in the entire gallon, then you would have a mixture of 58.8% and would give freeze protection to about -55 degrees F. Or just save the extra .5QT for future use.

Drain and then flush the system with water until clear. Fill with water only and drive it until warm and drain again two or three times if you don't want to disconnect hoses to do a flush. Do the final drain and then pour antifreeze in first. Follow antifreeze with water (distilled water is better) until system is full.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
What do you use?
Actually, I don't remember which brand it was as it has been several years now, but it was not Motorcraft...I would have remembered that. The orange or the yellow (if it meets Ford spec) will both work...just don't mix them together.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Actually, I don't remember which brand it was as it has been several years now, but it was not Motorcraft...I would have remembered that. The orange or the yellow (if it meets Ford spec) will both work...just don't mix them together.
Ok. Thank you!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts