Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have orange coolant in my reservoir so I was wondering if it’s safe to use the oreillys universal coolant to top it off or will I cause damage?
Current color orange and the universal is yellow/goldish color.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You will get multiple answers on this. I played it safe and stuck with Motorcraft. It's reasonably priced at AMZ.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yeah, people get pretty fired up about which coolant, oil, etc to use. I'd rather pay an extra $5 or so for Motorcraft. I KNOW it won't be an issue.

Also, if you get The Works oil change at a dealer, they are SUPPOSED to top off your coolant.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, people get pretty fired up about which coolant, oil, etc to use. I'd rather pay an extra $5 or so for Motorcraft. I KNOW it won't be an issue.

Also, if you get The Works oil change at a dealer, they are SUPPOSED to top off your coolant.
I have seen some debates about that lol but I only went to jiffy lube but they did top off my coolant when I went for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I personally prefer to use OEM coolants. I don't believe they are using the orange anymore though I believe they are using a new yellow coolant that is compatible with the orange and the green, but not the gold. Still an OEM coolant but a replacement for a couple other coolants.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Universal coolant is made to work with any other. If it causes problems, you can drain and start over. I would try it, but a little risk does not bother me.

Next time you flush, look at doing a Thermocure treatment. Good for cleaning.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If I lived in a warm place where it rarely freezes, I would save money and just add distilled water. Back in the summer when I did a Thermocure treatment, I ran for a week on straight water. Didn't hurt my car. Don't know about yours.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If I lived in a warm place where it rarely freezes, I would save money and just add distilled water. Back in the summer when I did a Thermocure treatment, I ran for a week on straight water. Didn't hurt my car. Don't know about yours.
Ha. Don't do this. Water boils at a lower temp vs. coolant. This is NOT the place to save $20 or so.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If boiling was really a problem, you couldn't follow Thermocure instructions. You never mix Thermocure while antizfreeze remains in the system. You drain, fill with water, run for a while. Then drain again. All the coolant is gone now. Then you add Thermocure and straight water. You run for a few days like that to let Thermocure work. Some people say they ran for up to two weeks like that.

Then you drain again, refill with straight water, and run for a while. Repeat that procuedure as many time as it takes to get all the dark color out. Took me about 5 times. Still looked like iced tea but I got tired of messing with it.

The finally, drain one last time, and fill with coolant. Done.

ALL THIS MUST BE DONE IN WARM WEATHER TO AVOID FREEZING WHILE STRAIGHT WATER IN THE SYSTEM.

I bought undiluted coolant for $12 a gallon and mixed it with distilled water. Some universal off brand from an independent parts store. It's winter now and working fine.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Coolant / antifreeze they should maybe change the name is not just about freeze protection. It increases the boiling point, it provides lubrication to the water pump and prevents corrosion.
With so many different engine materials, radiator materials and so on is why it is important to try to stay with OEM. There are so many different chemistries between coolants the pH and additives.
The damage of improper coolants can take years to happen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I personally prefer to use OEM coolants. I don't believe they are using the orange anymore though I believe they are using a new yellow coolant that is compatible with the orange and the green, but not the gold. Still an OEM coolant but a replacement for a couple other coolants.

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Universal coolant is made to work with any other. If it causes problems, you can drain and start over. I would try it, but a little risk does not bother me.

Next time you flush, look at doing a Thermocure treatment. Good for cleaning.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
16,958 Posts
I sold thousands of gallons of O'Reilly 'mix with all brands and types' coolant and not one problem ever.

Coolant adds greatly to the low temp the water can go but virtually NOTHING to boilover temps, it is the pressure cap that does most of that. Coolant only increases boilover protection maybe 5 degrees which is nothing. Except to the makers, then they can advertise it increases boilover protection legally, most of which is a lie and they know it.

Different engine materials? The vast majority are the same ones used in the early '60s, a few plastics have changed.

The problem of incompatible coolants was solved long ago and it was Delco GM orange that gave the problems. It has been changed several times since then and the coolant didn't even have to be mixed with others; it messed up by itself. Certain plastic parts failed using it. No longer a problem. The myths die hard though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts