Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through the older posts on this subject. Just noted that my coolant was a skosh below the min line this week at 50K on my 2013. I removed the cap, no weird residues etc. I topped off with some distilled water and will note it. Where are folks w/r to this issue? I see no leaks (I will crawl under and really look this weekend) and don't get a coolant smell like some have noted from a radiator leak. Is this actually just "normal" for this vehicle? I see the owner's manual notes that unless the loss is above a certain amount not to be concerned.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It's normal to experience a little coolant loss over time, even without leaks. The pressure cap is vented and small amounts of air are exhaled and inhaled with each warming/cooling cycle. The air exhaled will take small amounts of coolant with it.

I had to add about 3/4 of an inch of coolant after 3 years, which is more-or-less consistent with my experience with other cars.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I have read through the older posts on this subject. Just noted that my coolant was a skosh below the min line this week at 50K on my 2013. I removed the cap, no weird residues etc. I topped off with some distilled water and will note it. Where are folks w/r to this issue? I see no leaks (I will crawl under and really look this weekend) and don't get a coolant smell like some have noted from a radiator leak. Is this actually just "normal" for this vehicle? I see the owner's manual notes that unless the loss is above a certain amount not to be concerned.
It seems like there are many MK3s that have coolant levels that remain below the minimum line. Mine will drop a bit after refilling and never go any lower. Some people mark a new line on their reservoir bottle to keep an eye on the level. The fact that you are not smelling coolant is a good sign.

There have been some forum members that have found small leaks and I have attached a couple of pics of likely locations. You will likely see a residue if you have seepage.

Remember you have diluted your coolant somewhat by adding pure distilled water so keep an eye on your freeze point especially since you live up north.

Attachments

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info, thanks folks! I realize I should have used coolant vs. DI water, but its what I had. I can always suck out roughly the amount from the reservoir that I put in and replace with concentrated coolant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts