Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 titanium auto 130,000km
starting having a coolant loss problem around 6 months ago, i added the special orange coolant as directed and went on my way.
On the way home the other day the car dash flashes like a Christmas tree so i pull over to witness rad fluid pouring out of the bottom of the car.
Got it home on the lift and it appears the leak is coming from somewhere behind the fan on the rad.
I'm in the process of removing the fan to see exactly where it is coming from before ordering a new radiator. I'm assuming a pinhole developed into something a little greater....

I also have a 2013 SE manual 30,000km that seems to have the coolant level drop a little as well

Anyone have experience with these issues?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Anyone have experience with these issues?
We've seen them leaking at the radiator by the driver's side headlight as well as a clamp on the heater core (return) to water pump hose. See thread link for pictures:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306659&page=7

Among others:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272943
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388610
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300375

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe the coolant drop in your 2013 is normal, whenever you take the car to a Ford dealer for another issue, they seem to quietly top off the coolant and act like there isn't an issue. It seems like a lot of these cars can be filled to full, and within a few weeks, it will be slightly below the minimum fill mark and simply stay there for a long period of time. I know a lot of 2012's exhibit this issue at least, without any sign of coolant leaking on the ground.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'll now be replacing this rad on my 2012 with 135 000km, my gf put dex cool in to top it up thinking its all the same....
the leak developed into something a little greater, now the corner of the rad above the drain plug leaks like sieve.
From what i know i'm better off replacing the whole radiator, looks staright forward aside from disconnecting the a/c lines

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Well I'll now be replacing this rad on my 2012 with 135 000km, my gf put dex cool in to top it up thinking its all the same....
the leak developed into something a little greater, now the corner of the rad above the drain plug leaks like sieve.
From what i know i'm better off replacing the whole radiator, looks staright forward aside from disconnecting the a/c lines
Actually, I was told that this coolant is the equivalent of DexCool; they're supposedly made of the same stuff and I think I heard they're even made in the same location? They're both organic acid technology (OAT). Of course, that doesn't mean Ford is going to start recommending DexCool or aftermarket coolants in place of their own.

There have been a handful of radiator leaks on the 2012's, so I think you were just unlucky.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 2012 Focus SE is currently at the dealership for a low coolant issue. They told me the water pump is leaking. Currently waiting for the pump to show up. Maybe that is what is causing the OP's coolant leak.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My 2012 Focus SE is currently at the dealership for a low coolant issue. They told me the water pump is leaking. Currently waiting for the pump to show up. Maybe that is what is causing the OP's coolant leak.
Have you been given an ETA on when it'll arrive? Please let me know, along with your mileage, so I can check into some additional options.

Meagan

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well got my new rad for $160, 2 bottles of OEM coolant from partsource, 2 hours later the coolant system is BETTER than new!
its been 10 weeks now and the level hasnt moved a millimeter plus its a nice clean see through orange!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts