Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car in question is my daughter's 2002 Focus ZTW wagon. I've been driving it recently because it was blocking my car in the drive and I'm too lazy to shit the cars around.

The other day, I thought that I saw a wisp of steam or smoke while sitting at a light. When I got to work, I smelled hot anti-freeze. I checked under the hood and the coolant tank was full.

Today, the coolant tank is mostly empty and with the engine running I can see a wisp of steam coming up from the back of the engine.

OK, I have a small coolant leak. What hoses are behind the engine that could have sprung a leak?

I'm not going to work on this myself, it's the middle of winter and I don't have a garage. I just want some idea of what I'm looking at when I take it to my mechanic. Forewarned is forearmed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that might be the case but I can't see back there. My 320i has coolant lines that went to the throttlebody and I was wondering if it might be something like that. I'm sure that it will just be a pain in the ass to get to.

I was thinking that I might need to replace the thermostat because I think that it might be stuck open until I saw that the instructions included removing the serpentine belt and alternator. Nah, the thermostat can stay.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,361 Posts
If you have the 2.0 zetec then no it is on the drivers side head. Easy peasy. If it was stuck open you would get a p0128 code for low coolant temperature. Another possibility is the overflow tank is cracked. Usually at the tab in the back on the bottom.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,361 Posts
If you have a 2.3l duratec the easiest way to replace the thermostat is through the passenger side headlight hole after removing the headlight. Nothing else to remove. Have no idea what you are reading but the only time the alternator comes out is for head repair or alternator replacement.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
If SPI motor there is a hose going to the intake to preheat it. Zetec is heater hoses back there like said.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
If zetec you can use common bulk heater hose on those instead of buying formed heater hoses (more expensive), been doing it for many years. The biggest install hassle is that one commonly makes you remove the coil and bracket as it is buried under them to attach at back lower of stat housing.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
All 2002 wagons had the Zetec engine.
Well Im going to ding my own post. The 2002 Ford Focus brochure says that all wagons came standard with the Zetec engine. And every 2002 wagon Ive seen had the Zetec engine - until a few days ago. I saw a 2002 SE wagon (same as mine) on CL that has the SPI engine. VIN confirms both that its a 2002 and that it has the SPI engine and pics also confirm SPI. Go figure.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts