Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the plug I'm pointing at in this picture? I just found a leak from it... its on the bottom of my thermostat housing

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
very common promblem i replaced my whole thermostat and that was still leaking all new parts i used permatex water pump thermostat sealant comes in little gray tube havent had promblem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, this is a common problem with these cars, when mine started leaking it was cracked on the engine block side. You can pick the whole housing, temp sensor, stat and gasket for about $130 off of CFM. there's other packages as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for posting the picture and question. Mine is also leaking at the same spot. Now I know what need to be done

·
Registered
64 Posts
thermostat housing kit?

Yes, this is a common problem with these cars, when mine started leaking it was cracked on the engine block side. You can pick the whole housing, temp sensor, stat and gasket for about $130 off of CFM. there's other packages as well.
Do you know what the difference is between the "revised" thermostat housing kit for a $131 and the OEM kit which CFM sells for $89?

Thanks,

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
There is a clip that holds that in place , take the clip and the metal piece out (thats where a temp sensor would of gone) and change the o-ring there about .039 at most any napa store or anyone that carries a assortment of o-rings

Easy cheap fix for that dont buy a complete thrumo housing just for that

Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is a clip that holds that in place , take the clip and the metal piece out (thats where a temp sensor would of gone) and change the o-ring there about .039 at most any napa store or anyone that carries a assortment of o-rings

Easy cheap fix for that dont buy a complete thrumo housing just for that

Tom
Thanks,
Do you have to remove the housing to remove the clip??
I thought that maybe the plastic housing was broken after reading other post, however it could be just an O-Ring. I wondered what that little round thing was. It is just something to fill up a hole where a Temp Sensor was to be. Awesome.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,216 Posts
Get the Contour housing conversion, that's what the CFM "revised" kit is. The contour housing is sturdier, one-piece, and has threaded holes, the SVT housing is garbage. If the plug at the bottom isnt leaking then lip for the o-ring on the head side will warp/crack and leak.

I was swapping mine out because of the plug leak and I found this making its way to becoming a problem. I was really glad I was changing it then. You can get a good deal on a conversion from Steve at Tousley Ford.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input I replaced the o ring for a grand total of $0.25 and the problem is gone... anyone know if the svt has the same master cylinder for the clutch as the zx3? Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the input I replaced the o ring for a grand total of $0.25 and the problem is gone... anyone know if the svt has the same master cylinder for the clutch as the zx3? Thanks
Did you replace the small O-Ring for the round plug or the larger O-Ring for the housing opening?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts