Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed a coolant leak in my mother in law's 2002 SE wagon. She took it in and had the coolant tank and overflow replaced, but that didn't stop the leak. I thought it might be a head gasket issue, but the oil color appears fine on the dipstick and in the block...based on these pictures, where else might the leak be coming from?

Thanks!

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Thermostat housing would be the first place to look. Common fail point.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Where is the leak? The tank and overflow are on the passenger side of the car and the thermostat housing on the drivers side. If it is a housing (like bencap says, common) then there was no need to suspect the tank and you should take it back for a refund because they are ripping her off.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Where is the leak? The tank and overflow are on the passenger side of the car and the thermostat housing on the drivers side. If it is a housing (like bencap says, common) then there was no need to suspect the tank and you should take it back for a refund because they are ripping her off.
It is entirely possible that there were leaks in the overflow and elsewhere, too. Especially considering it is a plastic part that is eleven years old and is meant to hold pressure.

I'm still inclined to believe that the leak is out of the thermostat housing, but it may not ONLY be there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts