Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 ZTS Zetec Engine

I was about 1 min away from my home at a stoplight when steam started to pour from under my hood. I was right at a gas/service station so I pulled over . My coolant level in the reservoir was very low. Initially, I figured it was a hose. The hoses from the reservoir all seem fine.

I put some coolant in and drove it home. I left it running while opening the hood. I could see a puddle accumulating and a very faint amount of steam. The puddle seemed to be directly in the middle of the car though the trail behind from when I was driving looked to be on tha passenger side. Looking under the car it seemed that the coolant was on the bottom side of the fans. It was hard to see much without lifting up the car.

Anyway, I probably end up taking it to a mechanic. I thought if it was just a hose or pressure cap I would just replace it myself to learn. I'm a newbie.

If anybody has any clues to what might be leaking from what I have said, I'm all ears.

Also, I have some questions since nothing in this car looks anything like the generic car diagrams I have looked at. Is the clear plastic reservoir the same as "coolant recovery system"? If so then where is the pressure cap on the radiator?

I'd very much like to learn this stuff, but there's no diagram I've found specific to the focus that says what is what. Thanks.

-Stu

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
look on the drvers side of the engine, there should be a black box with a couple coolant lines running off of it, and below it you should see the tranny, if there is coolant on the tranny its coming from that black box. Inside is where the thermostat is, these things are what typically cause the coolant leaks. Mine went on my ZTS around 70K miles. It should be right below the valve cover(thing with zetec printed on it). It is a easy fix, I would suggest doing it yourself to save some money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weldman0730 - thanks for your reply. It turns out it wasn't the tstat. But looking for this made me take a closer look at this area and I found the leak was a hose after all. There was a pretty big hole on the underside of the hose. I was able to stick my finger in it.

It looks like there was some sort of black tape around this area which was cracked and crumbling. Don't know who would have put that there since I'm the only owner and no mechanic ever mentioned finding this.

I think I can replace the hose myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah it was probably just the hose being old with the constant cold/hot temp changes.

You can definatly change a hose by yourself, its no big deal. Remember after you change the hose to re-fill the coolant tank with coolant.

Since your hoses probably are older I would suggest taking something like "Armour All" and spraying the hoses and wiping them down with a rag. It will keep them flexible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
about to give up

I'm about to give up. I'm trying to remove the old hose, but I can't any tools around the hose clamp. This particular clamp is facing downwards. So I can't fit any pliers down under there. I can't fit a tiny hacksaw or any tools except my fingers -- which aren't strong enough :)

The top side of the hose is blocked by a copper pipe which I can't move. I tried getting at it from the underside but i couldn't really get at it this way either.

If anybody knows how I'm supposed to get this off let me know, but otherwise I'm gonna have to take it in tomorrow.

Thanks.
Stu

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah its the bigger hose which kind of goes to the bottom of that box? What I ended up doing when I replaced the box was to remove all the stuff around it(and above, i think there is something above it) to get more room.

It makes it a lot easier if you take a pair of channel locks(big pliars) with the 3 settings and open it up to a bigger setting which will allow it to grip a little bit better on that clip.

Sorry that may not make sense, ive been studying for the past 12 hours and I dont have my car right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts