Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Looks like a coolant leak has started on my low mile (29K) SVT.

Couldn't confirm the location on the leak on the lift. Tho I saw what appeared to be a dried faded green streak on my trans.

The smallish leak spot on the drive way is (looking at head on) centered just right of the ford emblem(toward drivers side) and about at the front of the driverside tire. Drawing a line from both spots, an intersection of those lines is where it is dripping.

Given the location of the drip, I am thinking thermostat housing. Do you agree? If not what else should I check? Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not, I think you'll want to contact Steve at White Bear Ford (Formally Tousely Ford) for the updated Contour housing.
I did, thanks. You install one?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
I did, thanks. You install one?
Not sure if he has, but I did. It's not a terribly difficult job. Takes about 45 mins.

I used the opportunity to flush my coolant, and made the switch to distilled water + water wetter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if he has, but I did. It's not a terribly difficult job. Takes about 45 mins.

I used the opportunity to flush my coolant, and made the switch to distilled water + water wetter.
Direct fit, no modification?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar problem but mine was the lower radiator hose in the little T section and the small plastic tube above the radiator. Also took the opportunity to do a full flush.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a similar problem but mine was the lower radiator hose in the little T section and the small plastic tube above the radiator. Also took the opportunity to do a full flush.
My leak spot on the drive way is about 12" deeper than the location of the radiator. What makes me think the housing.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Direct fit, no modification?
Correct. You will need to get a bolt & some plumbing tape to plug one of the holes on the new housing, but that can be found at any hardware/auto store for cheap.

If I recall correctly, its 1 wire clip, 3 bolts & 4 hoses to undo. You will leak coolant everywhere if you don't drain it first. I think the socket you will need is a 13.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More of a direct swap kind of guy lol. The hole to plug is it threaded? Wrap in Teflon tape and boom bam?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
More of a direct swap kind of guy lol. The hole to plug is it threaded? Wrap in Teflon tape and boom bam?
You got it.

The version that Steve will sell you is from a Contour, it's threaded, thus better than the svt version which is o-ring seal.

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. Might try the o-ring route before i drop another c note. Would make sense, since my car sat so much. The o-ring is probably bad.

Edit: McMaster is located in a neighboring town where I live. Awesome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts