Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my lovey little focus started dumping coolant all over the place. I'm fairly sure its not the water pump cause that was replaced when my cylinder head was fixed with the cooling system and a buddy of mine said it could be the freeze plug. It only leaks a bunch when the car is still hot and only little drops when its cold. My question is where is the freeze plug located and how much would it cost to replace?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I bet it's a heater hose ...

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
The ones running towards the back of the fire wall?
Just double checking.

Most sure fire way is to follow the drops up until you found your source. Grab a jack and some stands and follow the trail.

Also moving to general tech chat, more views better responses. I'd like to see that zetec stuff starts to localize like the svt section. Support is waning as the motors are getting older. I'll ask about it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give it the collage try but it's pretty tight quarters down there when it's hot so I'll see about that. I would follow the drops but since it hasn't been degreased so following the drops could be difficult, but again I'll give it the college try. Thanks for the feedback and yes by all means move it to where more people may have other ideas to explore.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Also moving to general tech chat, more views better responses. I'd like to see that zetec stuff starts to localize like the svt section. Support is waning as the motors are getting older. I'll ask about it
It would be nice to have a zetec page, I drive an SVT but there's still a lot that's the same on a zx3. Either heater core or(not sure if these have one) the hose to the throttle body that keeps the plate from freezing up in cold conditions. Maybe a clamp was forgotten on it and it just now blew off.

Let us know what you find.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Only the SPI model has an aluminum intake that's temperature controlled by coolant flow, none have a temp. controlled throttle body.

We try to keep the Tech section here universal to all models, makes it easier for those who have an interest in helping out with General repairs to see the questions.

Each engine type has a performance section for more advanced discussion pertinent to that model alone, SPI section has ended up as primarily for rebuild info. for the valve seat drop issue and SVT includes quite a bit of info. specific to that version.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not the thermostat housing that was replaced last year and the leak is coming from the back of the engine block by the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
16,042 Posts
Heater core attachment points back there and small leak could easily spray into that area. Or reservoir leak underneath too. Boiling to blow off the reservoir cap or bad cap could end up there as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Recently my lovey little focus started dumping coolant all over the place. I'm fairly sure its not the water pump cause that was replaced when my cylinder head was fixed with the cooling system and a buddy of mine said it could be the freeze plug. It only leaks a bunch when the car is still hot and only little drops when its cold. My question is where is the freeze plug located and how much would it cost to replace?
First thought is always the thermostat housing. If it is a plug it's on the passenger side towards the the back of the starter.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Lift your coolant reservoir out of its place and look at the bottom of it for a pin hole leak. I had it happen and it would only slowly drip now and then cold. Once at temp, pressure was causing it to pee a perfect thin stream at my engine block.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The thermostat housing is basically new, and the reservoir has no leaks either. seems to me that the collective may think it's the heater lines. As soon as it stops raining here and I have some money to hopefully fix the situation I'll let you all know what I find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts