Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a boosted 2.0 duratec and about 2 months ago the car started some issues with the coolant hoses, the hoses are ripping, I think I have some compression leak at one cilinder. The engine is stock, I run 11psi on a GT2871R and intercooler. I replaced all hoses and I still have coolant leak sometimes.

I did a compression test on all cilinders, at 1st cilinder I have 180 psi and 2, 3 and 4 I have 220psi.
Also I hooked up a pressure gauge to the coolant tank to see where pressure goes, and I saw pressure at 15psi with engine fully warmed and after some pulls.
I don't know what Ford specifies as the maximum pressure for coolant system, does anyone has this info?

Has anyone had any issues like that? Can this be a bad head/head gasket?

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Pressure is pretty typical for a cooling system when warm, 15-16 psi.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Sounds like you blew a HG and have compression getting into the coolant system , things that would cause this

Check your tune , low octane when you bought high octane , AF off etc

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
After engine is warmed up to operating temperature, Chemical block test at the coolant bottle for Hydrocarbons. The test liquid in the block test kit is Hydrocarbon sensitive. So, if it turns from Blue to yellow>>> FAIL. It means you have combustion gasses leaked into the cooling system via Head gasket, Cylinder head coolant passage, Cylinder block coolant passage. FYI: The spark plugs will also at times have a coolant colored tint to the plug electrode if that particular cylinder is consuming coolant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A secondary method is to remove all spark plugs and pressurize the cooling system to the max range pressure in this case being 15 PSI for @ 3 hours and with a bore scope inspect the cylinders for coolant flooding or gasket weeping. if the test is passed increase time system pressurized to 4 hours. If no bore scope available , High powered flashlight can be used. Either test used you must be patient and increased observation for details is a must.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom, 5150svtfocus and sailor, thanks for the inputs.

Today I saw 23psi of pressure at the coolant system, is this ok? I think 23psi is the highest I saw since I hooked up the pressure gauge.

Anyway the car runs great, I don't even know exactly when this started.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Where are you measuring pressure at?
(before or after the thermostat)

At high RPM I don't doubt you'll see higher pressure before the thermostat than after because the thermo creates a resistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts